Posting Number: R0003241
Location: Salem Campus
Attention Current Willamette University Employees: In order to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log into your Workday account and apply through the Career worklet.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online application process.
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please complete our online employment application. Your application and all required attachments -- listed at the bottom of the page -- must be submitted for each individual job post that you are interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline, please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline. Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your application.
The Accounting Manager reports to the Controller and, as a member of the Accounting Leadership Team (ALT), helps manage the Accounting Office. The Accounting Manager supervises the Accounts Payable and Grants Accounting functions, and oversees student workers. This position also collaborates with the Controller and Assistant Controller on a variety of general ledger accounting functions and internal controls, including reconciling bank statements and performing other reconciliations and verifications. This position will also help oversee and coordinate internal review and audit procedures and will work with external auditors.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provides leadership and support for the Accounts Payable function by supervising staff, managing related systems and business processes, and coordinated related functions such as 1099 reporting and record retention.
- Provides leadership and support for Grants Accounting by supervising staff, managing related systems and business processes, overseeing support activities for financial reporting of grants, and taking the lead in working with external auditors on matters related to the Uniform Guidance audit.
- Leads the Accounting office in training efforts related to Accounts Payable and Grants Accounting, and serves as the University's primary resource for related compliance requirements. Assists faculty and staff in complying with all rules, regulations, and agreements related to grants, donor funds, and University policies and procedures. Assists in monitoring report deadlines and ensures that post-award budget and accounting issues are promptly and accurately resolved.
- Coordinates signature authority and g/l account security, manages records, and works with staff to ensure signature authority compliance.
- Leads the recruiting and supervision of student workers and coordinates the allocation of work among students.
- In coordination with Controller and Assistant Controller, performs monthly bank account reconciliations. Monitors and reconciles balance sheet accounts and performs reconciliations where needed to ensure accounts are kept current and issues are resolved in a timely fashion. Monitors interfaces with other systems and subledgers to ensure reconciliations are performed as needed and issues are resolved promptly.
- In coordination with Controller and Assistant Controller, processes integrations with other systems, including payroll, gifts, facilities work orders and journal entries.
- Works with Controller and Assistant Controller on month-end closing process, ensuring month-end closing procedures are completed timely.
- Works with Accounting staff to coordinate internal auditing procedures, including review of procurement card statements, monitoring for duplicate transactions, and auditing transaction approvals. Assists in training other staff (including student employees) on audit procedures.
- Takes responsibility for maintaining strong internal controls in all areas of responsibility and considers opportunities to strengthen controls throughout the University's accounting functions.
- Performs other tasks and/or assume other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting, business, or a related field.
- 3-5 years' experience in financial accounting and/or grant administration.
- Demonstrated ability to balance daily and periodic tasks with projects, many of which have firm deadlines.
- Experience working independently with a minimum degree of supervision.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to learn and/or establish new policies, procedures, protocols, and methods.
- Must have strong analytical skills and problem-solving skills.
- Must be highly detail orientated, accurate, flexible, and possess the capacity to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
- Proficiency using computer software for accounting, data management, and word processing, including strong competency in Microsoft Excel.
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and customer service skills; including the ability to work with a diverse population and proven ability to patiently, diplomatically and professionally respond to and diffuse challenging customer situations.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with diverse colleagues, students, and community members, and to actively engaging in learning and practicing the principles of equity, inclusion, and diversity.
- Training in, and/or experience with government regulations related to grants and contracts.
- CRA or equivalent financial grant administration certification.
Typical Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday 8am to 5pm
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
Typical work is performed indoors in a normal office environment.
Approved salary range: $70,000 - $75,000
All University positions require that candidates submit to a criminal conviction record check prior to hire. Conviction does not automatically preclude candidates from being hired. Nature of conviction will be considered relative to the duties of the position.
You will need to upload the following two documents as part of your application materials in the "My Experience" section labeled Resume:
- Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve emphasis
- Current Resume
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Apply online at https://willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/willametteuniversityjobs/job/Salem-Campus/Accounting-Manager_R0003241
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.