Senior Unix Systems Administrator
Internal Title: Senior Systems Administrator
External Title: Senior Unix Systems Administrator
The Senior System Administrator is primarily responsible for the support, development, and implementation of the Molecular and Human Genetics Compute Platform (MHGCP). This position will work closely with the department Primary Investigators and Baylor Office of Information Technology to curate and maintain the department's RedHat Linux HPC cluster to facilitate computational genetics and genomics research. This position will perform system administration, end user support and training, and plan/execute the design and implementation activities for the expansion and upgrade of the MHGCP systems. Oversees maintenance, technical administration and day-to-day operational support of the UNIX platform computing technology environment across multiple data centers including security, UNIX clustering, and failover technologies, HACMP, load balancing, and reporting metrics.
- Performs preventative maintenances routines to ensure system availability and performance standards on UNIX Systems.
- Works with UNIX Engineers to ensure testing, developing, and implementing UNIX based technologies.
- Recommends tuning for infrastructure, applications and server computing infrastructure.
- Assists with the project management of the implementation of UNIX based systems; works with other ESIS engineering staff to develop documentation of project implementation.
- Works with members of the server and storage team to ensure that storage, backup and recovery procedures and processes are functioning properly.
- Automates routine administrative tasks through the use of utility script development, and application scripting technologies.
- Receives questions by phone, e-mail, work-order systems, and resolves problems and gives information to callers/requestors; responsible for tier-2 support and escalated calls.
- Identifies and evaluates future technologies for enterprise and departmental solutions.
- Oversees cluster administration, user administration, and end user support for the MHGCP Cluster.
- Works with Baylor Information Technology, Baylor Genetics Laboratory, affiliate institutions, and vendors for MHGCP related support and project activities.
- Coordinates and conducts MHGCP training and onboarding activities.
- Maintains MHGCP Documentation, user resources, and online training.
- Works with department administration and MHGCP Governance Committee to execute strategic and tactical planning roadmaps.
- Works with vendors and technologists to develop hardware and software recommendations for ongoing use, maintenance, and upgrades to the MHGCP Cluster.
- Performs preventative maintenances routines to ensure system availability and performance standards on the MHGCP Cluster.
- Monitors usage and availability of the cluster hardware and the SLURM job queuing system.
- Enhances and streamlines computational research.
- Works with MHGCP Governance Committee to prepare budgets, technology road maps, and advise on upcoming technology trends.
- Bachelor's degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, or a related field. Four years of related experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- Five years of relevant experience.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston