Laboratory Information System (LIS) Analyst
Laboratory Information System Analyst provides system building, testing, implementation, analytical, educational and system support/maintenance for laboratory modules, upgrades, interfaces and procedures through a comprehensive knowledge of the clinical and pathologic laboratories' technical operations and their dynamic integration with information technology systems.
- Assists with the implementation of Laboratory Information Systems (LIS).
- Integrates LIS with Hospital Information System, external reference labs, and/or lab analytical instruments.
- Maintains and supports the LIS daily by resolving issues in the Match Queue, Scan folders, Partially completion log, and case accession log.
- Supports auto-verification in the clinical labs when applicable.
- Maintains required documentation to conform with CAP regulatory standards. Reviews CAP checklists and reviews/writes policies and procedures to comply with each standard.
- Assists with the development and maintenance of educational materials for LIS; may lead either formal or informal instruction on system software or functionality. This includes training Pathologists, Histotechs, Cytotechs and accessioning staff on the steps to generate final reports.
- Tests and implements new projects involving the Pathology LIS as required.
- Utilizes test scripts to perform LIS functionality for new tests and interface testing for new interfaces.
- Designs and develops ad hoc reports for both medical and laboratory business purposes. This includes weekly TQA reports and specimen deficiency reports.
- Checks Orchard billing folder daily. Send billing reports and scanned documents to billing service daily.
- Checks patient queue from Hospitals for possible merges.
- Reviews consult cases for missing links using a designated report and links cases as required.
- Reviews AP Processing Worksheet weekly and remove old lists.
- Receives questions by phone, e-mail, work-order system, and resolves problems, and/or, gives information to callers/requestors.
- Meets with departmental and sectional personnel to provide direct technical support for problem definition and/or project requirements including analysis, troubleshooting, and resolution of database and project development issues.
- Performs and documents database changes as necessary for system maintenance of the daily backup log and server patching events.
- Presents QA reports to user and peer personnel. This includes; TAT reports, IHC reports and CPT reports.
- Recommends and coordinates preparation of test and maintenance plans for existing and proposed procedures.
- Performs other job-related duties as required.
- Education Required: Bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Medical Technology or a related field. Four years of related experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- Experience Required: Two years of relevant experience.
- Certification/Licenses/Registration: None Required.
- Bachelors degree in Medical Technology, Histo Technology, Cyto Technology or Computer Science.
- 2 years of IT experience with at least 1 year of experience working with a LIS.
- MT(ASCP) Certification.
- Working knowledge of various aspects of Lab operations and specialties such as Microbiology, Pathology, etc.
- Working Knowledge of HL7 and Lab Device Interfaces.
- Expert knowledge of the Laboratory Department and LIS information flow.
- Must be willing to work outside of the normal 8-hour 5-day
workweek as required, with the expectation that the hospital
information system is a 24 x 7 operating environment. Will be
on-call 24 hours a day as a part of the problem escalation team and
may be required to adjust working schedule to accommodate a shifted
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.