Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts - Directing emphasis
The Dixie State University Theatre Department is seeking a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts (with an emphasis in Directing) to begin work in the 2021-2022 academic year. This position works within a department that provides students, both majors and non-majors, with a strong liberal arts background combined with practical training in theater. A collegial, strong collaborator and team player is essential. Proficient directing skills and demeanor are also vital as the candidate will direct at least 1 production per academic season and participate in student mentoring.
The candidate will be expected, but not necessarily limited, to teaching Directing, Theatre History and Literature courses, Script Analysis, and Acting courses, as needed. Course load may also include areas of specialization brought by the candidate. Candidate will also be expected to direct 1-2 productions within the department’s production season and participate with theatre competitions and mentor students with national organizations.
The candidate must have excellent communication (oral and written) skills and strong computer skills. The candidate’s scholarly and creative activity should be consistent with and support the mission and initiatives of the department, College, and University. More information about the department and its associated programs and faculty can be found online at https://theatre.dixie.edu/ .
- Teach a variety of courses in directing, theatre history, script analysis, acting, and theatre general education courses each academic year, totaling 24 workload credits (12 credits in Fall Semester, 12 credits in Spring Semester). Directing of a production counts towards workload as 3 credits per production.
- Direct 1-2 productions as part of DSU Theatre’s main production season.
- Cultivate career employment pathways and engage with performing arts companies for workshops and internships.
- Maintain office hours to meet the needs of students for consultation and advisement. Advise students on pathways to careers, certificates, degrees and transfer within our existing and future programs.
- Participate and mentor students in regards to USITT, URTA and American College Theatre Festival competition.
- Attend department, division, and college faculty meetings. Work with other faculty in program management, including but not limited to assessment and curriculum maintenance. Adhere to university policies.
- Serve on assigned university, college, and departmental committees.
- MFA or Ph.D. required; specialization in Directing, Theatre History, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years demonstrated excellence in teaching any combination of Directing, Theatre History, and Acting at the university level.
- Dedication to teaching students from a variety of backgrounds with differing levels of experience.
- Balanced understanding of the Theatre as a business and creative form required.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to accept varied responsibilities within the department and college to fulfill the needs of the program.
- An eagerness to engage with colleagues, staff and administrators to develop ways to improve the educational experience for our students.
- Experience using computer technology and software to implement high quality instruction.
- Experience in directing for Film not required, but welcomed.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Full-time (9-month) tenure-track faculty position. Faculty service begins August 2021, with pay & benefits starting July 1, 2021. Annual salary of $51,000+, with additional compensation available for overload teaching. Excellent benefits package included – see https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under “Benefits Summary” for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins October 19, 2020 ; position open until filled. Candidates must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three professional references (including email addresses), transcripts, and a Student Success Statement (1-2 pages about their teaching or other experience, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population). Please upload all of the requested documents when you submit your application. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and certification of required degrees and upon successfully passing a background check. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of "active learning. active life" and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to providing students with an active, applied and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles) with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State currently has approximately 12,000 students and has been a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education over the last several years. We offer over 210 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel Sainsbury - firstname.lastname@example.org , HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - email@example.com , 435-652-7731.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, firstname.lastname@example.org , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, email@example.com , 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.