Administrative Specialist II - Nursing Programs
Posting Number C00095P Quick Link for Position http://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1637 Working Title Administrative Specialist II - Nursing Programs Position Number 21-20-0011 Department Nursing Programs About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The University has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoor enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within the city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully-manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in the NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department Position Summary
Responsible for providing administrative and clerical support to faculty and staff. The position reports to the Dean of the College of Health Sciences and the Executive Director of the School of Nursing.
Summary of Job Duties
• Maintains student records to include criminal background check, immunization, TB skin test, drug screen, CPR certification and medical release records; and prepares documents for student registration for licensing examinations.
• Performs routine clerical / receptionist duties for School of Nursing to include maintaining calendars; composes, proofreads, types, and edits various documents; handles departmental purchases; makes travel arrangements; and notifies faculty regarding deadline dates for evaluations and other activities as necessary.
• Assists with admission applications for the School of Nursing.
• Contacts local agencies for student award sponsorship.
• Prepares and assists with the organization of the School of Nursing awards programs.
• Drafts news releases for speaker for School of Nursing Award Program.
• Works with clinical agencies to solicit clinical units for courses.
• Schedules faculty and students for agency orientation and training.
• Maintains faculty office hour/clinical/class schedules.
• Assists in arranging advisory committee meetings.
• Researches various data storage and/or student records and compiles data for reports.
• Composes and types routine correspondence and form letters and maintains activity logs and/or financial ledgers.
• Assists with annual accreditation reports to the Arkansas State Board of Nursing ( ARSBN ) and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education ( CCNE ) and other accrediting agencies.
• Prepares and mails graduate and employer surveys.
• Serves as secretary for School of Nursing committees.
• Acquires necessary textbook desk copies for faculty and maintains a log of textbooks distributed to faculty.
• Maintains data for the School of Nursing.
• Prepares and enters departmental work orders and maintains office equipment.
• Prepares PowerPoint presentations as requested.
• Unlocks classrooms each day.
• Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and by providing leadership to subordinates. Requires consistent on-time attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
• The formal education equivalent of a high school diploma.
• Three years’ experience in clerical/administrative or secretarial field.
• Other job-related education and/or experience may be substituted for part of these requirements.
Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
• Associate’s degree in office administration or related field.
• Higher education or health related experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform the job successfully, the following competencies are required for the essential functions of this position:
• Must have knowledge of word processing applications in Microsoft Office Suite, especially proficient in Word, Excel and PPT .
• Knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
• Knowledge of general office procedures.
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
• Have excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong attention to detail.
• Ability to provide information and assistance to faculty, staff, visitors, students, and callers.
• Ability to extract and organize information.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
• Ability to multitask and prioritize.
• Ability to operate standard office equipment.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Special Job Dimensions
Work performed primarily in an office setting. Occasional overtime required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly exhibits digital dexterity when entering data into computer. The employee frequently sits for extended periods of time, and occasionally stands and walks. Vision demands include close, relatively detailed vision when focusing on a computer screen. Employee regularly talks and hears. Employee occasionally lifts items up to 10 pounds.
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Salary $23,412 Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check and Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check
Open Date 09/16/2020 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Open until filled. Review of applications will begin immediately until position is filled.
Anticipated start date EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
- Cover Letter
- Proof of Veteran Status
- Additional Document
- Unofficial College Transcripts
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Health & Medicine Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Nursing Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith