Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and a world leader in experiential learning. The same commitment to connecting with the world drives our use-inspired research enterprise. The university offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Our campuses in Charlotte, N.C., San Francisco, Seattle, and Toronto are regional platforms for undergraduate and graduate learning and collaborative research. Northeastern pursues advanced research in security and materials at the Innovation Campus in Burlington, Massachusetts, and in coastal sustainability at the Marine Science Center in Nahant, Massachusetts.
About the Opportunity:
The Northeastern University Fellowship Program provides a dynamic academic environment offering fellows the opportunity for a wide breadth of experiences:
- Develop teaching skills through participation in our Teaching
and Learning Seminar series
- Facilitate small and large group didactic education in
partnership with a faculty mentor
- Utilize a layered learning model in experiential education by
co-precepting students on pharmacy practice experiences including
Northeastern's unique co-op program
- Create, present, and publish scholarly research through
collaborative industry and university relationships
- Engage with faculty who participate in various
interdisciplinary graduate programs including biotechnology,
nanomedicine, immunology, health informatics, and drug
- Network with area residents and other Northeastern fellows via
professional development programs, teaching seminars, and
participation on fellowship committees
Ipsen Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is launching a 2-year post-PharmD fellowship in U.S. Medical Affairs and Regulatory Affairs in collaboration with Northeastern University, School of Pharmacy.
Ipsen is a global, biopharmaceutical group focused on innovation and specialty care. The group develops and commercializes innovative medicines in three key therapeutic areas - Oncology, Neuroscience and Rare Diseases. Our presence in North America dates back to 1976, and now includes Ipsen's third global hub right in the heart of the leading global biotech ecosystem in Cambridge, Mass., where a fully integrated biopharmaceutical team across External Innovation and Partnering, R&D, Manufacturing and Commercial operations collaborates. With Ipsen's expansion of its footprint in Cambridge, and new North America headquarters in Kendall Square, the group is building a sustainable innovation engine within the biotech community.
This two-year Fellowship Program in collaboration with Northeastern University and Ipsen is designed to provide Doctor of Pharmacy graduates an opportunity to gain in-depth experience in the biopharmaceutical industry within Ipsen's Medical and Regulatory Affairs. At Ipsen, we have a clear mission: to improve patients' lives. We are a dynamic and growing global biopharmaceutical leader focused on innovation and specialty care, with a focus on 3 core areas: oncology, neuroscience, and rare diseases.
Areas of Focus for the PharmD Fellowship Program include:
U.S. Medical Affairs rotation may include (choice of 2 areas*): Medical Information, Medical Strategy, Thought Leader Engagement, Scientific Communications and Publications, Health Economics and Outcomes Research, Medical Affairs Training
Regulatory Affairs rotation will include: US Commercial Regulatory Affairs, Global Regulatory Labeling
*Other cross-functional experiences as discussed per candidate aspirations
The program consists of a 1-year rotation through the Medical Affairs team and 1- year rotation through the Regulatory Affairs team. The PharmD Fellow also participates in the Northeastern University seminars/events/teaching opportunities. The fellow will work virtually and/or on-site at Ipsen in Cambridge, MA, and virtually and/or on-site at Northeastern University.
About the role:
- Understand various roles, processes and industry standards
involved in the US Medical Affairs, US Commercial Regulatory and
Global Regulatory Labeling areas at Ipsen Biopharmaceuticals,
- Assist in the creation of medical information response
- Be an active contributor to the team to develop/launch medical
strategies within the Medical Affairs Teams
- Contribute to the review of promotional and medical
- Work closely with Medical Affairs team to develop training and
scientific education for internal and external
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (regulatory, marketing,
sales, legal, clinical development) to provide and communicate the
most up to date scientific information as a subject matter
- Learn how to develop strategic scientific communication plans
in a cross-functional manner
- Partner with Medical Directors /Health Economics Directors to
develop scientific materials that align with the scientific
communication materials that align with the scientific
communication plan (e.g. manuscripts, abstracts, posters, slide
- Learn the basic tenants of US promotional labeling regulations
and apply to the regulatory review of marketing
- Support continuous improvement of US promotional review process
through evaluation and revising Work Instruction and Standard
Operating Procedure documents
- Interpret and summarize for US affiliate colleagues new FDA
Guidance Documents identifying impact to the company
- Liaise with commercial stakeholders and compliance functional
partners to help identify areas of vulnerability and offer
- Conduct competitor regulatory intelligence analysis, liaise
with functional partners and present opportunities for objection
handling, competitor complaint and/or revising promotional
- Evaluate and revise promotional regulatory internal training
- Work cross functionally to establish and maintain core company
data sheet for IPSEN products
- Manage required labelling updates, proofreading, and version
- Manage quality control over core company data sheet labelling
- Maintain tools that support coordination with other functions
(e.g., Product distribution lists)
- Communicate and disseminate newly approved core company data
sheet to internal stakeholders
- Maintain and catalogue all labelling materials in accordance
with company policies, procedures, and technologies.
- Gain experience and skills to be a successful member of a
Medical or Regulatory Affairs department in the biotech
Ipsen Contact Email: PharmDFellowship.USA@ipsen.com
Doctor of Pharmacy degree from an ACPE accredited institution, eligible for licensure as a pharmacist in the State of Massachusetts.
Excellent oral and written communication, time management, and leadership skills, ability to work independently and take initiative on a variety of projects at the industry site and Northeastern.
Applicants should submit the following APPLICATION MATERIALS by the priority deadline of November 15, 2020:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV), uploaded
2. Unofficial PharmD transcripts, uploaded
3. Cover letter, uploaded
Three formal letters of recommendation (LORs) sent directly from the letter writer to PharmDFellowships@northeastern.edu by December 4, 2020. LOR writers should include the candidate's name and fellowship program(s) in the subject line (e.g. Smith, John - IPSEN, GSK).
Address cover letter and three LORs to:
J. Andrew Orr-Skirvin, PharmD, BCOP
Clinical Professor, School of Pharmacy
Chair, Department of Pharmacy & Health System Sciences
Director of Pharmaceutical Industry Fellowship Program
360 Huntington Ave, 140TF R218
Boston, MA 02115
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/503891