Assistant Chair of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Berklee College of Music is seeking applications for the position of Assistant Chair of the Liberal Arts and Sciences Department. The Department, one of the largest at Berklee, serves students at both Berklee College of Music and the Berklee Conservatory at Berklee. It offers an innovative Liberal Arts and Sciences Program including courses and minors in the humanities, social sciences, mathematics, and natural sciences. Berklee’s Liberal Arts and Sciences offerings are designed to empower students to advance personal communication, engage in critical and creative thinking, and develop holistically as citizens of the world and informed artists.
Reporting to and working under the direction/supervision of the Chair of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the Assistant Chair will serve as an academic and administrative leader of the Department. (This is a 12-month administrative position with a renewable contract.) The start date for the position is January 2021.
The Assistant Chair will be an accomplished educator and scholar with a demonstrated record of administrative experience in higher education (preferably in an arts environment). They must have strong leadership qualities, managerial and organizational skills and experience with educational technology. They will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with a wide variety of constituencies on- and off-campus. The ideal candidate will have a doctoral degree in a Liberal Arts discipline, be student centered and possess a strong knowledge of higher education and undergraduate curriculum.
- Represent the Liberal Arts and Sciences Department as an administrative leader on- and off-campus
- Advance the student experience and the work of the Department, the Division, and the College
- Contribute to curriculum development, review, and management
- Assist with faculty and staff recruitment, hires, development, mentoring, and evaluation
- Assist with the development of class schedules and teaching assignments for faculty
- Advise students
- Assist with the oversight of the Center for Liberal Arts Tutoring programs and services
- Assist with facilitating placement screenings for English language (ESL), mathematics, and foreign languages
- Assist with the Music and English Intensive Program (MEIP)
- Assist with managing Department budget and maintain accurate records
- Advance the College mission and strategic goals
- Assist with formalizing and achieving Departmental goals
- Serve on Department, Division, and College committees
- Facilitate Liberal Arts guest artists, initiatives, publications, and events
- Maintain professional engagement
- Teach a minimum of one Liberal Arts course per fall/spring semester
- Other duties as assigned
- Doctoral degree in a Liberal Arts discipline required
- A record of administrative success in higher education
- Experience leading and managing faculty, within the context of a unionized Faculty Contract Agreement, preferred
- College or university teaching experience in a Liberal Arts discipline
- Record of creative scholarship/professional activity (demonstrating academic excellence and professional service)
- Record of collaboration and participation in professional organizations
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong record of collaborating with other departments and offices across campus
- Strong command of technology to support administrative tasks
- Commitment to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion and to the education of music, theater, and dance students
- Electronic applications only. Please submit the following application materials in PDF or Word format at https://www.berklee.edu/jobs. All materials can be uploaded to the Resume/Cover letter application section. Address your cover letter to: Liberal Arts Assistant Chair Search Committee, Attn: Dr. Darla Hanley, Dean, Professional Education Division, and Dr. Michael Mason, Chair, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Berklee College of Music.
- A cover letter of interest outlining background and qualifications
- A curriculum vitae (including contact information for at least three references)
- Note: Supporting materials may be requested as the search progresses
APPLICATION REVIEW AND DEADLINE
- Review of applications will begin immediately.
- This search will remain open for applications until the position is filled.
Berklee College of Music is committed to increasing the
diversity of the college community and
the curriculum. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to
identify their strengths in this area.