Research Assistant I
We are seeking a talented individual to work with our team on two major projects that involve studying the underlying metabolic contributors to pancreatic cancer and the identification of effective treatments, as well as treatment approaches, including gene therapy, for neurodevelopmental disorders, such as Smith-Magenis syndrome. This position will be responsible for but not limited to the following: literature research, must document and interpret experimental results, deliver lab meeting presentations and conduct both mouse husbandry, cell culture, and molecular biology activities under the direction of the supervisor. The candidate must be proactive and take initiative in all work related tasks. The candidate must have excellent computer, oral and writing skills. It is critical that the candidate possesses a team-centered and goal-oriented mindset and foster a team work environment.
Position involves some weekend hours.
- Mouse husbandry - weekly husbandry includes but not limited to: animal health check, weaning, breeding, ear notching, genotyping, weighing, intra-peritoneal injecting and assisting in various surgeries.
- Document and interpret results- keep an organized research notebook, analyze data in a timely manner to be able to confirm results.
- Literature searches - summarize information in an appropriate format for a particular study, knowledgeable in software programs: including Microsoft Suite, GraphPad Prism, Endnote, and other programs.
- Present ongoing work in lab meetings - be able to present data acquired from experimental results and to describe project work.
- Perform cell culture experiments under the direction of the supervisor.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or a related field.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Master's degree in a related field
- Candidate must have tissue culture experience and know how to split, feed, count and freeze down cells
- Mammalian cell culture, including transfection and transduction of human cells
- Molecular biology techniques: transformation of bacteria, efficient in DNA and RNA manipulations such as purification and quantification, PCR, qPCR and restriction enzyme digestion
- Mouse husbandry experience is ideal but willing to train
Competitive candidates must demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills, express a willingness to learn new techniques, display initiative and the ability to work independently and as an integral part of the organizational team.
In order to be successful in the position, the candidate shall possess the following requirements: Punctual, organized, meets deadlines, timeliness in responding to phone calls, text messages or emails, understands the importance of cost and adheres to all Baylor Code of Conduct requirements.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston