A postdoctoral position is available in microbiology in the lab of Dr. David Popham in the Department of Biological Sciences at Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA). Work will focus on studying the germination apparatus of Bacillus subtilis spores. Candidates will have the opportunity to develop their own research projects and interests as long as they have overlap with the goals of the project. The Popham lab utilizes microbiological, molecular, and biochemical approaches to study how spores are assembled and disassembled, to examine how germination-active enzymes are regulated during dormancy and activation, and to use this knowledge to target spores important in biomedical and industrial situations. Experience with molecular biology, genetics, and protein purification is highly desirable. Activity in scientific communication and mentoring junior scientists is highly encouraged. For questions and informal inquiries, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Ph.D. in Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or related discipline
• Demonstrated experience in bacterial genetics research
• Demonstrated experience with varied molecular biology methods
• Demonstrated success in scientific communication and peer-reviewed publication
• Demonstrated ability to work well as a team member and mentor junior scientists
• Demonstrated ability to pay attention to experimental details and quality control in multiple simultaneous projects
• Experience and willingness to apply for extramural support
• Experience in protein purification and assay of enzymatic activities
• Experience in HPLC and Mass spectrometry methods
Commensurate with experience
September 30, 2020; Open until filled
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Dreama Price at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: September 15, 2020
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Pharmacology Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg