Consultant, Small Business Development Center
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-System Office
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-System Office employees are based at one of two System Office locations; The Woodlands and University Park. Both are the site for multiple administrative departments and system-wide training programs.
Location address is 5000 Research Forest Drive, The Woodlands, TX 77381.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Consultant, Small Business Development Center provides consulting services and develops educational workshops and seminars for business owners. Researches and analyzes business needs and advises small business owners in areas of marketing, finance, operations and business planning. The position impacts the economic development of the Lone Star College (LSC) region by assisting companies to get started, expand and diversify through accessing capital, creating jobs, and growing businesses. This is a full-time grant funded position. Position is contingent on grant funding .
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides in-depth, one-on-one consulting services while maintaining a confidential relationship with clients (includes travel to local-area, off-site locations on a regular basis)
- Conducts situational analysis of small businesses and develops scopes of work for clients. Assists with start-up issues and works with them to develop business plans, marketing plans, financial packages, and counsels on hiring issues, business structures and other issues related to starting a business
- Conducts market research and feasibility studies
- Assists established business owners in effectively managing and operating their businesses by addressing sales and marketing opportunities, staffing, growth and development, cash management, business planning, customer service, and day-to-day business operations matters, counseling as necessary on other issues related to growing a successful business
- Assists clients with analysis of financial information, including but not limited to preparation of financial reports, projections, loan applications and related matters to ensure completeness
- Counsels clients applying for SBA and conventional business loans, including responding to applicant questions about the process and the application itself
- Prepares professional correspondence and maintains accurate, complete and up-to-date client files
- Prepares accurate and complete monthly reports within stated deadlines
- Maintains contact with clients and conducts follow-up telephone calls and meetings to enhance customer satisfaction and service delivery. Develops effective schedule of visits with partners and prospective community partners
- Regularly reviews and analyzes SBDC goals and outcomes and maintains accountability for achieving assigned key performance indicators and metrics set by contractual funder and allocated by the center supervisor
- Responsible for other reasonable related duties and projects as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work non-traditional hours as needed, which may include evenings, weekends and holidays
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong working knowledge of computer applications including Microsoft Office Suite and other commonly used business software
- Strong quantitative and statistical skills, and analytical skills sufficient to develop plans from statistical reports
- Good organizational skills
- Strong multi-tasking abilities in a fast-paced environment with the ability to meet schedules, deadlines and timelines
- Knowledge of core business competencies for small business owners
- Knowledge of a broad range of issues affecting small businesses which may include, but not be limited to; marketing, sales, hiring and employment, technology, business structures, business management and financials
- Ability to work one-on-one with business owners, engage in active listening, and respond appropriately to questions
- Ability to collect, review, and analyze information to make recommendations to business owners
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively with persons from diverse, cultural backgrounds
- Ability to work confidently and with discretion
- High level of energy and self-motivation
PHYSICAL ABILITIES :
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS :
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with i nternal and external contacts as needed to carry ou t the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with min imal exposure to safety hazards
- Bachelor's degr ee and a t least 3 years of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Prior consulting experience
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Hiring salary range is $60,590 - $69,679
Lone Star College provides a hiring salary range for all posted full-time non-faculty positions. Where your salary offer would fall in that range is determined by your related experience and education. Should you receive an offer of employment from Lone Star College, the resume submitted in the application process will be utilized to calculate your salary offer. The information outlined below will provide the Office of Human Resources everything needed to determine an accurate starting salary.
Your resume should provide a complete picture of your work experience. The resume should include the following information for each position listed:
- Length of time (specific months and years) of employment
- If the position was full time or part time
- If the position was paid or unpaid
- Unofficial transcript for highest earned degree
Additionally, any certifications listed as required or preferred in the Lone Star College job description should be included in the resume submitted.
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance. This includes a full comprehensive and competitive benefits package, a generous number of paid holidays and vacation days, wellness programs, tuition waiver, professional development opportunities and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Shenandoah
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Shenandoah
- Business Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Shenandoah
- Marketing & Sales Not specified Full Time jobs in Shenandoah
- Other Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Shenandoah