Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Provost and Vice President
West Virginia State University
Founded in 1891, West Virginia State University (WVSU) is a public-land grant institution, which was originally founded as a historically black university, but which has evolved into a fully accessible, racially integrated and multi-generational institution serving approximately 3,514 students. The University is a community of students, staff, and faculty committed to academic growth, service and preservation of the racial and cultural diversity of the institution. WVSU offers 23 undergraduate and six graduate degrees through its four colleges. WVSU competes in athletics at the NCAA Division II level in five men’s sports and five women’s sports. WVSU is located in Institute, WV, a suburb of Charleston, the largest city and the capital of West Virginia. With more than 300,000 people living in the metropolitan area, it is an active, exciting and engaging community, boasting cultural and historical events, music, festivals and entertainment.
Serving as the senior academic officer of the University, the Provost reports to the President and serves as a key member of the President’s Executive Cabinet. The Provost is responsible for providing leadership and driving strategy for all academic programs, as well as the library, and works closely with internal and external constituents to promote academic quality and achievement of strategic outcomes. The Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs is also responsible for reviewing, evaluating and recommending changes in academic policies and programs. Reporting to the Provost are the Deans of all academic colleges. Additionally, the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs provides leadership for all academic supporting programs, departments and activities that further enhance the academic enterprise in an effort to achieve academic excellence. This includes Information Technology, Enrollment Management, Retention and Student Success, and the Center for Online Learning.
This is an at-will, essential, FLSA exempt, full-time, benefits eligible position.
Responsibilities for the Provost
At West Virginia State University, the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs has primary responsibility for the excellence and integrity of the university's academic enterprise. As such, the university seeks an individual who will:
- Demonstrate a vision of academic excellence and an understanding of innovative instructional and high-impact practices,
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of an academic strategic plan,
- Collaborate with the Associate Vice Provost for Enrollment Management in recruitment and retention efforts and student success initiatives,
- Demonstrate success in the oversight and management of academic program funding,
- Develop opportunities and support for internal and external funding,
- Provide vision and leadership that shape the institutional culture and support diversity-related initiatives and internationalization efforts,
- Provide resources and develop strategies that drive diversity, equity, and inclusion among faculty, staff, and students to improve cultural competency and global awareness,
- Represent both Academic Affairs and the institution as a whole on the President's Executive Cabinet and to the community as needed,
- Communicate institutional priorities to constituencies in Academic Affairs,
- Collaborate with college deans and faculty to support faculty research, scholarship, and creative activities,
- Promote the development of graduate studies,
- Promote the development and activities of the university's honors program, and
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Required
Minimum Degree and Experience Qualifications:
The successful candidate will possess an earned doctorate with a record of effective teaching and scholarly productivity. The candidate must also present evidence of progressive accomplishments and a proven record of leadership, team building, management, budget planning and control, and resource development.
Preferred Years’ Experience, Skills, Training, Education:
The selected candidate will have a comprehensive strategic vision, a demonstrated commitment to excellence, and ability to utilize innovative methods for implementing strategic plans. He or she must be an engaging professional who is courageous, has a discernible history of probity, and an expressed commitment to value-based decision making.
Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
This position will remain open until filled. However, first consideration will be given to applicants who submit a resume, cover letter, academic transcripts, and the names and email addresses or phone numbers of three professional references, etc.) by September 28, 2020. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered.
Please submit application materials via email, mail or in person to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
West Virginia State University
Department of Human Resources
P. O. Box 1000, 105 Cole Complex
Institute, WV 25112
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Human Resources at (304) 766-3156 and/or email@example.com.
West Virginia State University conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of a background check.
West Virginia State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution. No person shall be denied admission to educational programs, activities or employment on the basis of any legally protected status, or be subjected to prohibited discrimination involving, but not limited to, such factors as race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or protected veteran status. Upon request, reasonable accommodations will be made to provide this content into an alternate accessible format by contacting Justin Cherry at 304.766.3156 or Justin.Cherry@wvstateu.edu.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Institute
- Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Institute
- Academic Administration Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Institute
- Executive Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Institute
- Executive Directors Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Institute