Assistant Professor of English - Technical Writing emphasis
The Department of English at Dixie State University (DSU), in the picturesque red-rock southwestern city of St. George, Utah, invites applications for a full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor of English, with an emphasis in Technical Writing, to begin July 1, 2021.
The English department works with all students at DSU in developmental & general education requirements. The department offers a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science, with four emphases in Creative Writing, English Education, Literary Studies, and Professional & Technical Writing, as well as minors in Creative Writing, English Education, General Education, and Professional & Technical Writing. The English Department also offers a Masters of Arts in Technical Writing & Digital Rhetoric. Additional information about the English department, its faculty and programs is found online at https://english.dixie.edu/ .
- Teach 24 semester hours in lower division, upper division, and graduate-level English courses, including English composition, as needed by the department. Hold regular office hours and regularly teach in the University’s General Education curriculum.
- Teach lower division, upper division, and graduate courses in professional & technical writing.
- Engage in scholarship and/or creative activities relevant to the position.
- Assist in curriculum creation in professional & technical writing.
- Serve on departmental, college, and university committees as assigned and attend departmental, college, and university meetings as required.
- Work with the department chair, the dean, and other faculty to
advance the university’s mission, including:
- Conducting student assessment;
- Mentoring part-time instructors;
- Performing service for the college and university.
- Participate in university and departmental student recruitment and retention initiatives.
- Facilitate service learning and engagement with the community.
- PhD in English (or closely related field) with an emphasis in Technical Writing and/or Professional Writing by August 2021 from a regionally accredited institution required.
- A demonstrated record of (or potential for) teaching, service, and scholarship in Professional and Technical Writing.
- Ability to employ various communication and teaching technologies.
- Ability to communicate clearly with students, staff and colleagues, both orally and in writing.
- An eagerness to engage with faculty, staff and administrators to develop ways to improve the educational experience of students.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Full-time (9-month) tenure-track faculty position. Pay & benefits begin July 1, 2021 (service begins in early August). Annual salary of $51,000+, depending on qualifications & experience (paid over 12 months, July – June). Additional compensation available for summer/overload teaching. Excellent benefits package included – see https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under “Example of DSU Benefits” for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins October 19, 2020 ;position open until filled. Candidates must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a scholarship plan (1-2 pages about their plans for research and/or creative work, especially pertaining to Professional and Technical Writing), contact information for three professional references (including email addresses), transcripts, and a Student Success Statement (1-2 pages about their teaching or other experience, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population). Please upload all of the requested documents when you submit your application. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and certification of required degrees and upon successfully passing a background check. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of "active learning. active life" and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to providing students with an active, applied and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles) with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State currently has approximately 12,000 students and has been a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education over the last several years. We offer over 210 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel Sainsbury - firstname.lastname@example.org , HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - email@example.com , 435-652-7731.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, firstname.lastname@example.org , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, email@example.com , 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.