A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU's academic
programs and collaborate with staff and administration to ensure
students and guests are provided with opportunities and services to
help them succeed.
Federal Work-Study positions are very customer-service oriented.
The student will be responsible for the following duties:
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Insure that all the front/desk/receptionist area presents a
positive and welcoming appearance at all times. Greet all callers
and visitors in a courteous and professional manner.
- Accurately receives and passes messages and respond in a
- Upkeep of the phone/equipment and office inventory.
- Department responsibilities will vary, but not limited to
participating in meetings, University-Wide events, and special
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the
supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the
- Students must possess good office level communication skills,
basic key boarding skills, and must have a good working knowledge
of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- The student should have the ability to make entry level
decisions and a willingness to ask questions. The student should
also demonstrate responsibility, initiative, timeliness, and the
ability to work independently.
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential
nature in the utmost professional manner. Demonstrate a high level
of professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, and personal
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent
communication (oral and written), organizational, and time
management skills. Effective interpersonal skills and ability to
work with diverse constituents.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment
is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of
average-weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking
for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA),
those functions of the job which are identified essential are
required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will
be given careful consideration.
- Full-Time FMU student with a 2.0 cumulative GPA or higher and
must be currently enrolled with a minimum of six (6) credits as an
Undergraduate student or three (3) credits as a Graduate student
during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Ability to make entry level decisions and a willingness to ask
questions. FWS student should also demonstrate responsibility,
initiative, timeliness, and the ability to work independently.
- Technical Skills: knowledge of technology/office equipment and
willingness to learn new information systems and software;
proficiency in the use of computer applications and MS Office Suite
(e.g., Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, as well as knowledge and
understanding of organization structure, workflow, and operating
- Extensive hours and weekends will be required at times.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background check
and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of
interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a
list of three professional references (at least one from a previous
employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of
application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the
position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity