Associate Instructional Specialist (Pool Position) (Pool)
- University of Wisconsin La Crosse
- Wisconsin, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Sep 16, 2020
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Education, Curriculum & Instruction, Other Education, Special Education, Teacher Education, Humanities, English & Literature
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Part Time
Associate Instructional Specialist
School of Education, Professional and Continuing Education
Description of College/Department/Program/Division/Unit
The School of Education, Professional, and Continuing Education ( EPC ) has a comprehensive and complex structure, where 23 programs across all colleges and schools at the university work collaboratively to support teacher preparation. The Department of Education Studies prepares the largest number of teachers at the university. Additionally, the EPC is comprised of the Institute for Professional Studies in Education and Continuing Education and Extension. UW-L began as a normal school and has been preparing teachers ever since. The commitment both on and off campus supports an investment in strong education programs that lead, collaborate, and innovate to meet 21st century learning environments. You will be joining an outstanding group of faculty and staff, as well as a campus that is one of the best in Wisconsin.
The University Supervisor (US) of teacher candidates is the lead member of the student teaching triad. The US is an official representative of the university and serves as a liaison between the School of Education and the personnel of cooperating schools and agencies. S/he is responsible for the direct supervision of the teacher candidate. S/he also facilitates the growth and development of the teacher candidate by providing guidance in becoming a thoughtful learner, leader, inquirer, and community member.
Essential Job Functions:
● Conduct four or more observation visits per semester for each assigned teacher candidate.
● Schedule observations and three-way conferences in advance, as well as provide brief “drop-in” observations.
● Provide weekly support and constructive feedback to teacher candidate (email, phone, in-person, etc.).
● Serve as an intermediary, eliminating misunderstandings and resolving conflicts between cooperating teacher / teacher candidate.
● Consult with the cooperating teacher regularly regarding the teacher candidate’s performance.
● Guide the teacher candidate in his/her development of technical management competencies and reflective teaching.
● Offer support in practical and theoretical work by considering short and long-term professional needs.
● Be approachable and readily available to the teacher candidate and cooperating teachers for discussion of teacher candidate’s teaching experience.
● Monitor and facilitate the growth and development of the teacher candidate.
● Communicate regularly with the Office of Field Experience regarding progress and needs of teacher candidates.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities:
● Attend semi-annual student teacher / intern and supervisor orientations.
● Participate in all university supervisor activities including training, supervisor meetings, and designated School of Education meetings, at the discretion of the Dean.
● Provide support for student teaching application days.
● Share teaching expertise and insight with teacher candidates to assist teacher candidate’s professional growth.
● Document plan of action/interventions used to assist teacher candidates in gaining skills, in collaboration with field experience coordinator.
● Complete and submit evaluation forms and other documents using Taskstream or other designated technology.
● Complete online student and program evaluation surveys as requested.
● Respect and comply with expectations of the partner school(s).
● Serve as the bridge between the university and school personnel, cultivating and maintaining positive working relationships with all constituents.
● Respond to emails, phone calls, questions, and other inquiries in a timely manner.
● Other duties as assigned by the Dean.
Working Conditions & Environment:
● Travel to and from school sites that are typically within a 50-mile radius of La Crosse.
● Occasional evening and/or weekend work may be necessary for the weekly contact, either by email, phone or in person, with teacher candidates.
● At least three years of previous PK-12 teaching experience/expertise in the specialty subject area/grade levels of pupils being taught by the student teacher, or equivalent work experience.
● Ability to conduct themselves in a professional manner and adhere to the UWL School of Education Field Experience Handbook.
● Provide constructive and supportive feedback to teacher candidates and cooperating teachers.
● Knowledge of teaching standards and Wisconsin PI 34 regulations, or the ability to become familiar with and incorporate these standards and regulations into the responsibilities of this position.
● Strong interpersonal communication skills.
● Problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
● Willingness to learn and ability to become proficient in using use email and technology/assessment systems within 6-months of initial appointment.
● Master’s degree in Education.
● Recent/ongoing professional development in PK-12 education.
● Current or past Wisconsin teacher certification.
Academic (9 Mo)
For your Reference Contact Information document, please include the names, email addresses and phone numbers of 3 professional references.
Please contact the Search and Screen Chair if you have a special need/accommodation to aid your participation in our hiring process.
Per UPS Operational Policy: TC 1, UW System requires reference checks related to sexual harassment and sexual violence to be conducted at a minimum with a final candidate’s most recent employer and with all previous UW System institution and State of Wisconsin agency employers from the past seven (7) years. https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/download/2018-12-10- UPS -OP-TC-1-Recruitment_FNL.pdf
UW-La Crosse does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact Human Resources at 608-785-8013.
Position Contact Name
Position Contact Email
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the
identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing,
except that the identity of the successful candidate will be
released. See Wis. Stat. §. 19.36(7).
- I prefer my identity remain confidential and have read and understand that if I am the successful candidate for this position, my name may be released.
- I do not request that my identity remain confidential.
- * Are you currently employed by or have you been employed by a
UW System institution or a State of Wisconsin agency during the
last seven (7) years? Please answer yes or no. If yes, provide the
institution or agency name, your supervisor and contact
information, including phone number and email address.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please provide your most recent employer, supervisor name and
contact information, including phone number and email address. (Per
UPS Operational Policy: TC 1, UW System requires reference checks
related to sexual harassment and sexual violence to be conducted at
a minimum with a final candidate’s most recent employer and with
all previous UW System institution and State of Wisconsin agency
employers from the past seven years.)
(Open Ended Question)
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Chronicle of Higher Education Web Site
- Discipline-Specific Publication/Web Site
- HERC Web Site
- HigherEdJobs.com Web Site
- Job Center of Wisconsin Web Site
- Minority Publication/Web Site
- University of Wisconsin - La Crosse Social Media (i.e. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter)
- University of Wisconsin - La Crosse Web Site
- La Crosse Tribune
- Personal Referral
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Reference Contact Information
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert