Academic Counselor, Project Excel
Responsible for the academic counseling/advisement of program participants; assists in the development and implementation of key services of the TRIO Student Support Services (Project Excel); serves on committees focused on the coordination of University support services and Project Excel academic and support services; collaborates with University departments and personnel to enhance the program’s ability to increase the retention, academic performance, and graduation rates of its participants; and assists in the preparation of reports on the activities and performance of the Project Excel program.
UNUSUAL WORK CONDITIONS: Occasional evening/ weekend hours as needed.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL NEEDED:
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in related discipline required (Education, English, Counseling, or related field). Graduate degree or progress towards a graduate degree program preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of two (2) years of related teaching and/or tutoring and/or academic/student support services experience desired, specifically in higher education preferred. Experience in assessment of student academic need preferred.
REQUIREMENTS: Demonstrated sensitivity to and experience with low-income, first generation to college students and students with disabilities or similar populations required. Excellent written and oral communication skills and relevant computer skills required. Prior experience with collaborating with multiple departments/agencies preferred.
Responsible for the academic advisement and support of program participants. This involves:
- one-on-one advisement sessions with assigned students and drop-in appointments (academic, personal, financial, graduate, career-related, etc.), including the provision of information and guidance on matters related to student academic and personal goals while in college and beyond (academic planning, time management, strategies for finding and obtaining University opportunities (e.g. study abroad, leadership positions, internships, etc.), graduate school counseling, financial aid planning, financial and economic literacy, career advisement, etc.)
- regular assessment of project participants’ academic and personal needs
- academic tracking of students
- establishing and maintaining a satisfactory understanding of University academic policies and programs, including the University Core Curriculum, academic programs, advising guidelines and best practices
- establishing and maintaining a satisfactory understanding of University academic and support services, including those provided by the Academic and Career Development Center
- establishing and maintaining a satisfactory understanding of University and off-campus opportunities
- referral to other University departments and resources, or to outside resources, as needed
Assists in the development and implementation of key services of the Project Excel Program. This involves:
- program planning and adherence to grant guidelines
- collaboration with University departments and outside entities
- participation in program evaluation
Serves on committee/s focused on the coordination of University support services and Project Excel support services. This involves:
- attendance at regularly scheduled meetings with University departments and personnel
- collaboration with University personnel in special subcommittees, as needed
- completion of independent projects as related to committee recommendations, as needed
Collaborates with University departments and personnel to enhance the program’s ability to increase the retention, academic performance, and graduation rates of its participants. This involves:
- maintaining regular contact with appropriate University personnel
- establishing and maintaining positive relationships within the University
- maintaining contact with University faculty and departments in the monitoring of participants’ academic progress
- collaboration with University departments and/or student groups, as appropriate, especially with those that have a shared history of collaboration and/or mutual students
Assists in the preparation of reports on the performance of the Project Excel Program. This involves:
- maintaining accurate records of one-on-one and activity contacts of program participants
- maintaining accurate records of program services and activities
Participates in the professional development of the Academic and Career Development Center and
the Project Excel Program. This involves:
- contributing to staff meetings and program evaluation
- establishing and maintaining a satisfactory understanding of the legislation and regulations governing TRIO Student Support Services programs
- attending staff development training programs specific to TRIO Student Support Services personnel through the U.S. Department of Education, The Council of Opportunity in Education (COE), or related outside entity, as appropriate
- attending staff development training programs specific to University personnel/educational professionals through the University or outside entity, as appropriate
- attending local/regional meetings, as hosted by regional bodies, such as the Connecticut Association of Equal Opportunity Programs (CAEOP), and staff development training programs, as appropriate
Promotes safe and secure working conditions. This involves:
- promoting the proper utilization of equipment and materials
- notifying supervisor immediately of any unsafe working conditions
Performs other duties as assigned by the Project Excel Project Director.
Duties may change and/or be added at any time.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Academic - Staff
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
Fairfield University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, Veterans, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with a disability.
Load a resume or CV first, then upload supporting documents including a cover letter at the bottom of the third page under the 'My Experience' section where it says to upload a Resume/CV. You will be able to upload up to 5 other documents in this section. You will be unable to edit your application, so please have all documents available before applying. Faculty Positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email the additional documents to the applicable contact in the job description. Staff positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield