EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
Posting Number: SRGV4647
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: School of Medicine / Education and Academic Affairs
Scope of Job:
Responsible for providing consultation and support services directly to faculty, administrators, departments and committees in the areas of faculty teaching skill development, curriculum management, curriculum evaluation and revision, teaching methods, evaluation of teaching and student learning, and educational research methods. Collaborate with faculty/subject matter experts and members of educational team to refine faculty teaching skill workshops, online and blended learning courseware and software and facilitate communication across faculty and within faculty groups.
Description of Duties:
• Responsible for developing faculty teaching skill workshops, online and blended learning courseware, focused on the education setting.
• Serves as principle contact for individual faculty members seeking advice on matters related to teaching; conducts individual faculty coaching and mentoring.
• Coordinates with faculty, instructional designers, and academic coordinators to maximize students’ classroom learning experience.
• Collaborates with campus and program leadership to identify faculty needs and deliver evidenced-based educational offerings to advance the effectiveness and faculty development.
• Provides leadership and expertise in working with individual faculty to consult and assist them with the planning and development of their instructional approaches to promote teaching effectiveness and enhance student learning.
• Serves as a contact and support to faculty learning communities, faculty led committees, and program leadership seeking advice on matters related to teaching; conducts individual faculty coaching and mentoring.
• Closely collaborates with faculty in the use of instructional technologies.
• Plans and conducts seminars, workshops, courses, or in-services on various teaching and learning related topics for faculty and staff.
• Assists faculty and administrators in the design, development and evaluation of face-to-face, online and blended learning instructional methods and materials for synchronous and synchronous programs and curriculum.
• Works collaboratively with administrators, department chairs, faculty, staff and students.
• Works effectively with learning management systems, particularly Blackboard, social media platforms, and other web-based teaching tools.
• Collaborates with national teaching and learning/faculty development organization(s) to support and maintain resources and a network for sharing of best teaching practices throughout the University.
• Evaluates and updates faculty development materials.
• Ensures that all coursework is in line with accreditation standards for the curriculum.
• Creates, maintains, and manages documentation for projects and manages assigned projects through completion per SACSCOC, LCME, THECB and similar agencies.
• Prepares and submits grant applications to obtain funding for curriculum development or academic research projects as appropriate and may act as Principle Investigator as appropriate.
• Assists with the development of departmental policies and procedures.
• Researches, evaluates and recommends new instructional strategies and materials.
• Develops and generates reports as needed to evaluate assigned programs.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
Master’s Degree in education, educational psychology, curriculum design, or closely related field from an accredited university.
PhD or equivalent terminal degree in education, educational psychology, curriculum design, or closely related field from an accredited university.
• Five (5) years experience as an education development specialist or similar position in in education, instructional design /technology, or closely related field; or
• Three (3) years of the required experience with a PhD or equivalent terminal degree in education, educational psychology, curriculum design, or closely related field from an accredited university.
Experience obtained in higher education setting.
Use of standard office equipment. Knowledge of software applicable to higher education curricula.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required. UTRGV is a distributed institution, which requires presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley. Work is performed primarily in a general office environment across the Rio Grande Valley.
Knowledge of current and emerging technology, learning and instructional theory, instructional design principles, design process, and interface design principles. Ability to work as a team member and to establish effective working relationships. Ability to effectively use interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 09/21/2020
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/25769