Captain of Operations, Emergency Management
Captain of Operations, Emergency Management & Training
Public Safety & Transportation
Oversee all Public Safety, Transportation and Locksmith personnel and their areas of responsibilities. Plan and coordinate all administrative logistical services for the Public Safety Department, and perform the duties of the Executive Director when the Executive Director or Associate Director is unavailable. The Captain, who is the highest ranking uniformed member of the department, is responsible for the development, revision, and maintenance of campus-wide emergency plans for preparedness, response, continuity of operations (COOP), mitigation, and recovery. In addition, the Captain develops, maintains, and updates the College's Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) including functional annexes, Incident Command Systems (ICS) positions and checklists, and departmental Emergency Action Plans. Educational efforts including the development and delivery of program specific training and education to the college community regarding emergency preparedness, mitigation, and continuity and disaster response procedures are the Captain's responsibility. The Captain will also coordinate, design, and conduct periodic emergency preparedness training and exercises, including tabletop, functional, and full-scale exercises and drills to prepare the community for effective responses to major emergencies and to improve departmental preparedness.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director of Public Safety & Transportation
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Supervises the Public Safety Lieutenants, Sergeants, Crime Prevention Officer and other department personnel to include establishing staffing plans; prioritizing and assigning work; conduct performance evaluations; ensuring staff is properly trained; and making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations, review and maintain all officer time and attendance records. Spotlight on diversity and inclusion in all aspects of operations.
- Supervise daily operation of the department including allocating staff campus wide in response to field activity, conducting staff meetings and reviews, inspecting operations, provide guidance and leadership, and directing the department's response to critical incidents.
- Oversee and coordinate the operations of all special events and emergency operations.
- Develops and implements a comprehensive training and development program for Public Safety officers. Maintains training records ensuring all officers are in compliance.
- Maintains equipment and readiness of all Emergency Operations Centers, the Situation Room, Emergency Telephone room, and the Mobile Command Unit.
- Ensures the university's Emergency Operations Plan is current and tested, while meeting NIMS compliance and Department of Education's Higher Education regulations.
- Fosters good community relations by serving as a liaison with external constituencies such as GCPD, GCFD, Nassau County OEM, Department of Homeland Security and local FBI.
- Continue development of the CCERT program, and provide various trainings in emergency preparedness to the campus community.
- Maintains all equipment, training and scheduling of the Public Safety's Bike Patrol Unit.
- Works in conjunctions with the Associate Director of Administration & Investigations to coordinate investigations and serve as the liaison to outside law enforcement agencies regarding investigation of crimes as well as prosecution in court proceedings as needed.
- Reviews and corrects reports of Public Safety Officers.
- Responds to all emergencies and deploys appropriate resources.
- Responds to questions and concerns from administration, staff, students, and the general public.
- Effectively handles highly stressful or adverse situations making good decisions, working calmly and accurately to arrive at a satisfactory resolution.
- Assists with the development and administration of the department budget with fiscal integrity.
- Participates in a variety of meetings, committees, task-forces, and or other related groups both internally and externally to communicate pertinent information regarding public safety.
- Ensures the campus and the department are in a state of constant readiness.
- Ensures the university's Mass Notification System is functioning, maintained and tested.
- Direct the Fire Safety and Crime Prevention program for the University.
- Perform other job related duties and tours as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS: (Knowledge, skills and abilities)
- Strong supervisory and analytical skills.
- Extensive knowledge of the Campus Security Act
- Must be able to make important decisions independently with the best interest of the university in mind.
- Strong organizational skills while exhibiting attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize workload according to volume and urgency.
- Strong ability to work with others.
- Strong computers skills including Microsoft Word &Excel, with the ability to prepare spreadsheets, charts and PowerPoint presentations.
- Must have the ability to respond to campus in an emergency 24/7.
- Must be flexible to work and organize all large-scale events on campus.
- Must be able to work additional hours outside the scope of a normal workday.
- Ability to respond, oversee and physically assist in all emergency evacuations.
- As a member of the Emergency Management Team, the captain plays an essential role and, as such, is expected to work even if the campus is closed for weather related incidents or other activities.
- Preferably, hold a bachelor's degree, in emergency/disaster management or a related field or a minimum of ten years of related experience.
- Experience in: creating, implementing, and coordinating emergency management plans; creating and delivering emergency management training programs to diverse stakeholders; complex issue analysis and creative problem solving to provide strategic options and recommendations; and social media use in crisis communication.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the fundamental principles of emergency preparedness planning including mitigation, preparedness, prevention, continuity of operations, recovery and response.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of constituent groups; commitment/experience and ability to work effectively with a broad spectrum of individuals from diverse backgrounds; and strong time management, organizational, problem solving, and project management skills are all required.
- Must have a valid driver's license and credentialing to operate college vehicles. Preferred qualifications include the successful completion or certification of ICS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700 a, 800 b, and/or be a Certified Emergency Manager.
- All uniformed personnel.
- All student event staff.
- All Safety ambassadors.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated to transforming students' lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island's oldest private coeducational university, serving almost 8,000 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers more than 60 undergraduate programs, more than 65 master's degree and doctoral programs, and more than 35 certificate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 116,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 43 states and 64 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
- Back Share
To apply, visit https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADELPHI&cws=39&rid=2452