Hot Food Cook- Dining Center
Haverford College seeks to hire a full time (37.5 hours per week), non exempt, benefit eligible Hot Food Cook to perform a variety of culinary duties related to the preparation and presentation of meals. The Hot Food Cook is responsible for portion control and general food production procedures in the kitchen. This position is considered essential personnel, and requires working early morning hours, evening hours, weekends and holidays as needed.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Prepares entrees, soups and side dishes for meals:
- Pre-checks the production sheet to ensure that all items, in correct quantity and quality, are available for the meal
- May be required to instruct swing cook, and/or direct general kitchen workers and student workers
- Checks equipment to ensure it is available, clean and in good working order
- Cooks and/or otherwise prepares food in accordance with the production sheet menu, correcting if necessary recipes for yield and quality after review with the manager
- Times food preparation to coincide with starting meal hours and ensures that all food items are ready to serve at the necessary time
- Makes substitutions as dictated by meal counts and approved by the manager
- Prepares food in small batches, when possible, to ensure freshness and high quality
- Monitors service line:
- ensures proper food service utensils are available
- instructs server(s) in food portion size
- decorates line for proper presentation
- Consults with manager to determine use of leftover food
- Properly stores leftover food in accordance to HAACP and Serv Safe guidelines
- Assesses the quality of all food items; coordinates with manager
- Ensures that items on service line are properly labeled
- Consults with receiver to ensure food items are pulled for next day's meals. Notifies the manager of any problems.
- Responsible for maintaining proper food temperatures of both hot and cold foods (hot above 140F and cold food below 40F), taking corrective action when necessary. Keeps accurate food temperature charts, reporting problems to supervisors.
- Adheres to standards outlined by sanitation program (ServSafe), Lower Merion Health Department and Haverford College Dining Services.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned or directed.
- Works special events and catering functions as needed.
- Cleans equipment used in preparation of meal
- Coordinates cleaning schedule for the kitchen with other kitchen staff and student workers
- Completes production sheet and submits to manager
Line of Report: Reports to sous Chef and Chef. General Food Service Workers may report to this person.
Education, Training, & Experience:
- At least three (3) years of experience as a cook in the food service industry or any combination of education and experience to produce the necessary skills, abilities and knowledge
- Ability to read and follow oral or written instructions
- Ability to perform basic mathematical functions
- Must possess strong communication skills to include reading, writing and reading proficient English.
- Must have ability to view small print in various forms (such as cash register keys, receipts, menus and instruction sheets)
- Ability to operate industrial-type kitchen equipment including but not limited to: meat slicer, steamer, steam kettles, ovens, cooking utensils, buffalo chopper, deep fryer, mixer, grill and range
- Ability to use and convert weights and measures, both liquid and dry
- Must have current ServSafe certification
- Must be available to work early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays as event schedule dictates
- This position is considered essential staff and must be available to work during inclement weather conditions.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds)six to eight hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds):three to six hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds):up to three hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds):up to three hours
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction:Up to three hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction):Up to three hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body):Up to three hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body):Up to three hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position):three to six hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): six to eight hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees):Up to three hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees):Up to three hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground):Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces):Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary):Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.):Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures):Up to three hours
To Apply : Interested candidates should complete an application, to include submitting a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three (3) references by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Hot-Food-Cook---Dining-Center_R263 . The application deadline is Friday, September 25, 2020. Failure to provide the required documents may result in lack of consideration. Haverford College does not sponsor work visas.
Haverford College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, disability or veteran status. Haverford has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the curriculum, classrooms, and communal composition of the College. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will foster their contribution to the College's educational mission.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Haverford
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Haverford
- Nutrition Not specified Full Time jobs in Haverford
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Haverford
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Haverford