Director of Student Financial Aid
Posting Number F0723P Working Title Director of Student Financial Aid Department Central HR HR Search Group About the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia, a land-grant/sea-grant university, is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education. UGA was founded in 1785 as the first state-chartered university in the country. More than 235 years later, the University of Georgia remains a national leader in higher education. The University is located in Athens, GA, approximately 75 miles northeast of Atlanta with extended campuses in Buckhead, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton, and is consistently ranked among the top 20 public universities in the country. The University’s enrollment is approaching 39,000 students, including approximately 29,800 undergraduates and over 9,000 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens. Additional information about the University of Georgia is available at http://www.uga.edu/.
About the College/Unit/Department
Office of Student Financial Aid
College/Unit/Department website https://osfa.uga.edu/ Posting Type External Retirement Plan TRS or ORP Employment Type Employee Benefits Eligibility Benefits Eligible Underutilization Advertised Salary Anticipated Start Date 02/01/2021 Effective End Date (for Limited-Term postings) Job Posting Date 09/14/2020 Job Closing Date Open until filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicant screening will begin immediately. Candidates are encouraged to submit their materials by Thursday, October 29, 2020; however, screening will continue until the position is filled. The application packet should include a cover letter detailing how the applicant’s credentials and experience meet the needs, responsibilities, and qualifications stated in the posting; a current resume; and contact information for three references (who will not be contacted without further correspondence with the applicant).
To request a descriptive Opportunity Profile for this position, provide a nomination, or seek additional information, please contact Sean Ryder, Primary Consultant with the UGA Search Group, at 706-542-6240 or Sean.Ryder@uga.edu. Letters of recommendation or a simple nomination should include the name and contact information for the nominee.
Location of Vacancy Athens Area EEO Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Classification Title Director, College/Division/School AC FLSA Faculty Rank Administrative Faculty Contract Type Fiscal (12 mo.) Tenure Status Non-Tenure Track Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree and five years’ experience in student financial aid management or related relevant experience.
The University of Georgia ( UGA ) seeks a visionary leader to serve as the next Director of the Office of Student Financial Aid. Building on the office’s excellent reputation, the Director will oversee an array of federal, state, and institutional programs. The University seeks candidates who are innovative and accomplished leaders in their field and have a strong commitment to excellence and high-quality customer service.
Reporting to the Vice President of Instruction, the Director leads the Office of Student Financial Aid by establishing, implementing, and evaluating financial aid operations, programs, and processes for the campus. The Director oversees the administration of federal, state, and institutional aid provided to the UGA student body; serves as the main consultant to University administrators on financial aid related matters and compliance issues; and plays a critical role in enrollment management. With approximately 42 employees and 6 direct reports, the Director has responsibility for all financial aid received by the UGA student body in the form of grants, scholarships, loans, and work programs.
Additional Requirements Relevant/Preferred Education, Experience, Licensure, and/or Certification
• Master’s or other advanced degree
• Background that includes supervising full-time staff in a financial aid office at an institution with a significant undergraduate population
• A record of compliance with institutional, state, and federal guidelines related to the administration of student financial aid
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
• Demonstrated ability to implement technological innovations in the management of a financial aid office
• High level of understanding of the administration of a comprehensive student financial aid program
• Excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills
• Mature judgement in handling sensitive and confidential information
• Adaptability, impeccable personal integrity, trustworthiness, and high ethical standards
• A commitment to working with ethnically and socioeconomically diverse students
• Dedication to the needs of students
• Commitment to providing excellent customer service
Physical Demands Is this a Position of Trust? Yes Does this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources? Yes Does this position require a P-Card? No Is having a P-Card an essential function of this position? No Is driving a responsibility of this position? No Does this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care? No Does this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications) Yes Credit and P-Card policy
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.
• Provide seamless operations and superior service to financial aid applicants, their families, and members of the University community;
• Interpret and implement complex federal and state regulations regarding student financial aid for the University;
• Provide direction regarding the administration and disbursement of student financial aid, financial aid issues related to student application and enrollment management, scholarship administration, work-study, grant programs, regulatory compliance, and the standards of best practice in the field of student financial aid;
• Establish strategic goals and objectives for the Office of Student Financial Aid and provide leadership and oversight for the operations and activities of the Office of Student Financial Aid;
• Understand the technical solutions necessary to streamline various processes related to financial aid applications, review, disbursement of funds, and reporting requirements. Work closely with UGA’s Enterprise IT Systems to implement the necessary technical solutions;
• Collaborate closely with administrators, faculty, and staff in the development, delivery, reporting, and support of financial aid;
• Oversee the University’s compliance with appropriate National Collegiate Athletic Association ( NCAA ), institutional, state, and federal regulations affecting financial aid processes;
• Serve as the primary contact for the University with external groups including the Department of Education and the State of Georgia for information and problem resolution related to student financial aid;
• Work closely with other units within the Office of Instruction to assist with a variety of student success programs, including those impacting student retention, timely graduation, experiential learning, and others.
• Manage/oversee the budget and staffing needs for the department.
Percentage Of Time 100 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- List of References with Contact Information
- Other Documents #1