Community & Engagement Manager
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students, faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations—in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London; Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto; Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and Nahant—are nodes in our growing global university system. Through this network, we expand opportunities for flexible, student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused research.
Northeastern's comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs— in a variety of on-campus and online formats—lead to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and careers.
About the Opportunity:
The core of the Roux Institute strategy is sustaining, attracting and building businesses that drive the Maine economy. This role is a key member of the team that supports building new businesses in Maine by leading our storefront programming as well as building and managing our rapidly growing network.
We are looking for a passionate, outgoing, and talented individual to be embedded within the local entrepreneurial community to spearhead community-building, event & outreach efforts, as well as help promote the early stage ventures we work with.
This key role will be responsible for building community, managing our broad network, and executing events from end to end that enable the creation and support of new businesses and the education of entrepreneurs. S/he will work directly with the Director of Entrepreneurship to execute programs that serve all types of entrepreneurs as well as engage key partners from the Maine and Northeastern ecosystems.
The Community & Engagement Manager is an exciting opportunity to support entrepreneurs across Maine. S/he will work collaboratively internally and externally to the University to conceptualize, plan, and execute programming that serves all types of entrepreneurs. Events will serve students, researchers, corporate partners, entrepreneurs, and community members interested in starting and supporting businesses in Maine. The role will also be responsible for establishing an engagement program that keeps these constituents engaged.
This role will work with the Director of Entrepreneurship to develop and launch all aspects of our storefront programming as well as develop a strategy for building lasting and valuable relationships with all of our members and partners.
The Community & Events Manager will:
- Plan and produce small- and large-scale events with entrepreneurs, high-level technology executives, researchers, and other members of the community
- Strategize, design, and implement programming and support to create a vibrant innovation community in Portland and across Maine
- Formulate and conduct communications strategy with entrepreneurs and partners including implementation of communication management system
- Connect entrepreneurs with resources, opportunities and programing that help them develop new relationships & skills that support their company growth
- Identify and build strategic relationships with organizations that raise the center's profile as well as that of startups in Maine
- Successfully advocate center's mission and activities to key stakeholders in the community and across the country.
- Strategize new project initiatives based on top-level center goals, set priorities, and manage to completion.
- Assist in connecting early-mid stage startups to Northeastern's vast talent network so they can grow quickly.
In this role, we are looking for an organized, outgoing, energetic leader who works well in teams but also has the ability to work autonomously when needed.
- 5+ years' experience executing events of all sizes from small events to large marquee events including setting focus & goals of the events, securing venue and vendors, management of pre-planning logistics & customer experience
- 3+ years' experience in managing a community of members and volunteers
- Strong experience and network in the Portland Startup Community
- Strongly demonstrates a bias towards action, rapid iteration, and hands on approach
- Proven ability to work with external and internal organizations, partners, donors and agencies to execute joint projects including events, press, or other activities
- Excellent communications skills and ability to work independently and in a team environment are a must
- Track record of working with small/medium businesses as well as high-growth, scalable enterprises
- Proven partnership builder with entrepreneurial support organizations, corporations, local & state government and entrepreneurs
- Experience fundraising and building partnerships for events
- Ability to work efficiently, creatively and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions and exercise sound judgment
- Experience with email newsletters and basic website builders preferred
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- You will be required to travel, mostly regionally, to execute events for partners and entrepreneurs
- You will be required to travel to Boston occasionally for meetings at Northeastern's Boston campus
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/503888