Senior Manager, Compensation, Benefits & HRIS
About Oakton Community College :
For over 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
The Senior Manager is responsible for overseeing and managing the compensation, benefits, and HRIS functions of the Human Resource Department. The Senior Manager, Compensation, Benefits & HRIS has the responsibility and authority delegated by the Chief Human Resources Officer to provide direction, implementation, and support for all compensation practices and procedures of the College, all employee benefit plans administration, compliance with applicable legal, financial and reporting requirements, and management of Human Resource Information Systems.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Member of the HR Leadership Team contributing to the strategic
development and improvement of HR initiatives and
- Manages the compensation, benefits, and HRIS staff including
strategy implementation, ongoing operations, coaching, feedback,
and talent development.
- Ensures data integrity in HRIS system in coordination with
Payroll and IT.
- Oversees all functions associated with employee benefits to
include, but not limited to: annual plan administration, renewals
and open enrollment for health insurance, dental, vision, long-term
disability insurance (LTD), basic and voluntary life insurance,
deferred compensation plans (403b and 457 plans), long-term care
insurance, flexible spending account plans, and employee assistance
- Liaison to the College Insurance Committee and participates in
ad hoc committees related to employee benefits as
- Leads HR compliance and HR employee customer service for the
State Universities Retirement System (SURS) and College Retiree
Benefits. Partners with Payroll to provide an excellent holistic
- Actively participates in the design and testing of HRIS
automated processes and reporting tools to ensure efficient and
accurate workflow to meet the needs of the department. Works with
the IT and Payroll departments to identify, initiate and review
established services and procedures to ensure that the operations
are efficient and make use of improved technology equipment and
- Ensures compensation and benefits are administered
appropriately for all employees and in compliance with all
collectively bargained contracts for represented employee
- Leads the processing of faculty load and compensation according
to payroll timelines and serves as liaison to Academic Affairs for
- Monitors competitive trends in compensation and benefits by
participating in salary surveys and analyzing results, benefits
offerings, and costs. Makes plan recommendations to
- Oversees the administration of and participates in:
- Job evaluations and job description development and maintenance.
- Job reclassifications and adjustment recommendations in College pay practices.
- Statistical data and reports regarding compensation and benefits as needed by College administration, other colleges, government agencies and Affirmative Action reports.
- Preparation of annual union eligibility reports.
- Analysis and classification of new and existing positions ensuring proper placement and credibility within organizational structure. Preparation of recommendations for placement and appointment letters as needed.
- Medical leaves and maintenance of all medical information files
in compliance with HIPAA regulations.
- Leads and ensures currency of documentation for HR operations Standard Operating Procedures, programs, and policies.
- Responsible for effective risk management actions regarding
knowledge retention, transfer & sharing, cross training, and
operations continuity, especially for the HRIS function.
- Stays current on HR topics, trends, laws, and regulations
especially surrounding Higher Education and the Illinois Public
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned including special assignments as directed by the Chief Human Resources Officer.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources administration, finance,
accounting or related field, or an equivalent combination of
training and experience from which comparable knowledge and
abilities can be acquired is required. Master's degree in HR or
related field or MBA preferred.
- Professional Certification such a (S) PHR or CEBS preferred
with the ability to attain within 1 year.
- Minimum five (5) years' experience or formal training in at
least three of the following: HRIS Administration, Benefits
Administration, Compensation, Employee Relations, or HR Operations
- Minimum two (2) years' experience in managing multiple HR
topics (benefits and /or compensation preferred).
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Strong customer focus; ability to manage multiple priorities;
ability to communicate across employee groups and levels; detail
oriented and ability to supervise other employees.
- Knowledge of current employee compensation and benefit laws
(including ACA), trends and upcoming legislative issues (pensions,
medical insurance, DOL and/or FLSA regulations etc.).
- Experience in working with HRIS required. Experience with Banner preferred.
- Higher Education experience in benefits and compensation
management strongly preferred.
- Experience with the Korn Ferry Hay Group Job Evaluation
- Knowledge of public sector pension plans.
- Ellucian Banner preferred
Administrative supervision is received from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Direct supervision is exercised over assigned Human Resources staff.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Des Plaines
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Des Plaines
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Des Plaines
- Financial Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Des Plaines
- Human Resources Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Des Plaines