University Code 34051 University Title Lab/Research Technician 1 University Job Family Research & Innovation ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Job Series Scope of Search National Working Title Laboratory/Research Technician Position Number 582450 Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Non-Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Oral & Craniofacial Biology Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The candidate will monitor the mouse colony health and phenotypes, identify any issues and report to Principal Investigator. The candidate should have experience performing dissections, tissue collection for histological analysis, preparing tissue blocks, submitting tissue samples for processing. The candidate will have strong organization skills and ability to maintain the regulatory documents for research involving animals. Additional skills sought for this position include mammalian cell culture, generating stable cell lines using retrovirus vectors, protein immunoblotting, immunoprecipitation, FACS analysis of DNA as well as standard molecular biology techniques (plasmid DNA preparation, gel electrophoresis, PCR ). The applicant should have skills managing and handling mouse genetic models. They should also be able to harvest and fix mouse tissue and preparing and submitting these tissues to pathology. Must have excellent organizational skills and be able to maintain regulatory documents for research involving animals. Additionally, expertise in mammalian cell culture, immunoblotting, and general molecular and cellular biology techniques would be an advantage. Direct and interpret experiments. Assist in writing papers and grant applications. Devise new experiments.
Minimum Hiring Standards
- BS or Masters in the field of biology, chemistry, biochemistry, genetics, cell biology, molecular biology
- At least one year of experience working with mouse genetic models
Preferred Hiring Standards
- BS or Masters.
- Experience in a lab
- Ability to carry out drug discovery projects
- Demonstrates respect, honesty, excellence, responsibility and accountability; stewardship; compliance; and a commitment to integrity and ethical behavior by example in his/her day-to-day activities
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, statistical software, simple programs and internet database searches
- Independently manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize assignments
- Maintain assigned work schedule
- Notify supervisor in a timely manner regarding absences or late arrival
- Working in a research laboratory performing experiments in the fields of mouse studies, biochemistry, genetics, cell biology, molecular biology
- Experience ordering and purchasing equipment and supplies
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range commensurate Application Process/Additional Information Campus MCV Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday/8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Job Open Date 09/11/2020 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Research Is this a restricted position? Yes Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? No Sensitive Position Yes- A pre-employment fingerprint background check will be required. Resource Critical No Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/100594 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Are you a current employee of Virginia Commonwealth University?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond