Posting Number: SRGV4642
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Harlingen, Texas
Department: School of Medicine / Clinical Affairs
Scope of Job:
To provide professional nursing skills and leadership in the coordination and administration of the nursing process. Responsible for assessing, developing, implementing, and evaluating a plan of nursing care for patients in an assigned area. Supervises and delegates patient care through auxiliary personnel.
Description of Duties:
• Maintains standards of patient care as established by nursing service and the nursing profession.
• Demonstrates an awareness of the total nursing needs of the patient and is responsible for seeing that they are met.
• Participates in professional nursing care of patients as required.
• Administers medications and/or treatments as prescribed by the physician.
• Maintains accurate medical records.
• Develops and monitors specific plan of action for emergency medical procedures.
• Performs treatment of emergency patients when applicable, refers emergency patients to proper physician and assists physician with treatment as required.
• Supervises nursing staff on patient assessments.
• Supervises and delegates patient care through staff personnel.
• Develops and supervises procedures for patient scheduling, record keeping, and monitoring follow up care of patients with serious medical problems.
• Initiates laboratory tests and collects various specimens and cultures.
• Appropriately develops and implements clinic protocols and/or policies and procedures.
• Performs related duties as required.
General direction from the assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of all assigned staff.
Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school of nursing.
Current RN licensure from the Texas State Board of Nurse Examiners.
Two (2) years of experience as a licensed registered nurse.
Two (2) years or more supervisory experience as a licensed registered nurse in ambulatory or outpatient setting.
Use of standard office equipment. Proficiency in the use and understanding of medical equipment such as oxygen tank operation, sphygmomanometer, phlebotomy/lab equipment/supplies, supplies for ear irrigation, thermometers, pulse oximeter, EKG machine, nebulizer, and centrifuge.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Usual health care facility conditions with possible medical or psychiatric emergencies. Exposure to all common diseases. Must constantly consider safety risks and provide safe environment conducive to patients, visitors and staff. Work environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
Knowledge of health care laws and regulations. Ability to provide patient care, to prepare and maintain records. Extreme accuracy in following written and verbal directors and in the dissemination and application of technical information.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 09/21/2020
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/25751