Undergraduate Research Advisor (24256B)
The Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in our programming and on the University of Utah campus. This position is responsible for increasing equity, diversity, and inclusion through the Office’s programming and in all of their campus involvement.
This position supports the OUR’s mission of facilitating and promoting undergraduate student-faculty collaborative research and creative works in all disciplines throughout the University of Utah campus. This position focuses on engaging undergraduate students from diverse backgrounds in research experiences through advising and outreach. This individual must have experience with research in a university setting and with working with students from diverse backgrounds.
University of Utah Job ID PRN24256B - 00022 - Office of Undergrad Research
WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time, 40 hours per week, Day, Monday through Friday, 8AM to 5PM; Occasional evenings, weekends, and some travel.
- Building equity, diversity, and inclusion into programs and initiatives across all job responsibilities
- Providing comprehensive Undergraduate Research Advising to support students in identifying research opportunities, working with faculty mentors, developing research-related skills, dissemination, and strategizing how the research experience will support students’ educational goals and future plans.
- Collaborating with the Academic Program Managers in the OUR to develop an approach to advising that employs advising best practices and cultural competence, including recognizing and combating personal and institutional implicit and cultural bias in their advising practice.
- Supervising and mentoring the Undergraduate Research Leaders.
- Campus outreach: Developing and implementing initiatives to increase participation of underrepresented students in our programs, managing and scheduling tabling, class visits, etc.
- Participating in collaborative activities and ventures with other University departments and offices (and, when applicable, external organizations). Participating in campus-wide committees.
- Assisting with program planning and implementation, data collection and interpretation, outcome assessment, and reporting.
- Assisting in the development and preparation of reports and marketing/outreach materials, in addition to maintaining sections of the website and social media presence.
- Maintaining current knowledge of campus resources, critical dates, as well as policies and procedures for undergraduate students.
- Maintaining student records for advising and program participation.
- Utilizing information technology tools in accomplishing duties of position (in particular, Canvas, Excel, Powerpoint, and FileMaker).
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency required. Demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills required.
Previous experience in an advising, counseling or teaching environment is preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Master’s degree and significant post-secondary teaching and/or advising experience preferred.
TO APPLY, VISIT: http://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/107568
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD), for further information or to request an accommodation. The University of Utah is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.