Director, UNCW Office of Innovation and Commercialization (OIC)
Director, UNCW Office of Innovation and Commercialization (OIC)
External Link to Posting
Location of Workplace
Main UNCW Campus
Research and Innovation - 31100
Academic Affairs - 30000 Division
Brief Summary of Work for this Position
The Director of the Office of Innovation and Commercialization ( OIC ) leads and manages the OIC to facilitate, enhance, and grow technology transfer activities at UNCW . The Director is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the OIC, as well as strategic planning for the unit. The Director will have signature authority for confidentiality agreements and material transfer agreements. T
The Director is part of the Research and Innovation Service Team ( RIST ) leadership, and serves on various university committees including the UNCW Patent Committee, and the UNCW Research and Innovation Counsel. The Director also works with the UNCW Research Foundation, an associated entity to support research and innovation activities.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Post-baccalaureate credentials of a master’s degree or higher is required, although a bachelor’s degree plus alternative or equivalent professional training and experience may be substituted for the advanced degree on an exceptional basis.
- Advanced degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or
Mathematics OR MBA or Law Degree.
- Minimum 10 years of experience with tech transfer.
- Knowledge of US Intellectual Property Laws.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; Demonstrated
ability to positively lead a diverse group of professionals;
Supervisory skills and experience, and demonstrated ability to work
constructively, collaboratively, and diplomatically with many
diverse individuals and groups both within and outside the
University are expected.
- Active membership in Association of University Technology
Managers and/or Licensing Executives Society ( USA
- Experience working in higher education setting.
- Registered Technology Transfer Professional designation.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Certified Licensing Professional designation.
- Successful experience organizing and conducting training and education workshops, and presentations on IP and tech transfer.
Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit
The Office of Innovation and Commercialization ( OIC ) is UNCW’s commercialization and technology transfer office. The OIC serves as an integrated resource for the UNCW Research community (faculty/staff/students). The office is responsible for identifying, supporting, and enhancing the commercialization of technologies and solutions from the UNCW Community. UNCW encourages and supports technology transfer to (1) stimulate economic growth and development, (2) increase the impact of the university’s research and development activities, (3) grow and develop industrial relations, and (4) support high-quality learning opportunities for students.
The OIC serves several key functions:
- Identifying UNCW intellectual property, and helping to educate
the faculty, staff, and students about technology transfer
opportunities and process.
- Protect, promote, and manage UNCW intellectual property,
including copyright, patents, and licensing/equity decisions at
- Collaborates with the Sponsored Programs and Research
Compliance office and Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship to
assist with proposals for extramural funding that have a business
- Assists with screening agreements, collaborative/teaming
agreements, material transfer agreements, and non-disclosure
- Collaborates with the Center for Innovation and
Entrepreneurship to help find the appropriate business solutions
for UNCW generated intellectual property, conducts market
assessment studies, providing referrals for incubator space, and
providing various types of support including early stage
- Develops relationships with industry and collaborates with
regional and state economic development agencies.
- Assists with sales, marketing, and out-licensing of commercially-ready innovations (patentable or non-patentable).
The OIC is a part of the UNCW Research and Innovation Services Team, and works closely with other support units including the Sponsored Programs and Research Compliance office, Research Integrity Office, the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, and Marine Biotechnology in North Carolina ( MARBIONC ).
The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to learning through the integration of teaching and mentoring with research and service. Guided by our Strategic Plan , the university is committed to nurturing a campus culture that reflects its values of diversity and globalization, ethics and integrity, and excellence and innovation. A public institution with nearly 17,000 students, the university is focused on supporting and enhancing the student-centered learning experience that has been a hallmark since its founding in 1947. UNCW offers an array of programs at the baccalaureate and master’s levels, and doctoral programs in marine biology, educational leadership, psychology and nursing practice. UNCW is one of the 17 institutions that make up the UNC System.
At the University of North Carolina at Wilmington ( UNCW ), our culture reflects our values of inclusion, diversity, globalization, ethics and integrity and innovation and we are committed to providing equality of educational and employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, sex (such as gender, gender identity, marital status, childbirth, and pregnancy), age, color, national origin (including ethnicity), religion, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran status, military service member status, genetic information, or relationship to other university constituents – except where sex, age, or ability represent bona fide educational or occupational qualifications or where marital status is a statutorily established eligibility criterion for State funded employee benefit programs. UNCW believes that embracing the unique contributions of our faculty, staff and students is critical to our success and paramount in being recognized for our global mindset.
Special Notes to Applicants
Months Per Year
Anticipated Ending Date if Time-Limited Positions
Job Posting Date
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vita
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity with UNC Wilmington
- UNCW Website
- UNCW Facebook Page
- UNCW Linkedin Page
- UNCW Twitter Account
- UNCW Employee Referral
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Inside Higher Ed
- North Carolina Job Network
- Women In Higher Education
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Institutional Research & Planning Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Research Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington