Faculty Center for Professional Excellence
The Instructional Designer will manage the design and development of online and/or hybrid courses for new online programs, certificates and ad hoc offerings across a variety of departments and audiences at Adelphi University. Under the supervision of the Director of the Faculty Center for Professional Excellence (FCPE), the Instructional Designer will collaborate closely with faculty members and will be central to the design/development process in conjunction with interactive learning media designers, and instructional technologists, and the FCPE team to clearly articulate the goals, assessments, activity paths, learning objects and content for each new course. The Instructional Designer will also identify the pedagogical best practices and supporting educational technologies needed to effectively execute course learning objectives and program outcomes.
Employment is limited to a one year contract with benefits. Successful candidates may be remotely located.
REPORTS TO: FCPE Director
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Partner with faculty, academic directors to develop course outcomes and clearly articulate the course objectives, requirements, and assessment criteria for online and hybrid courses; design instructional approaches appropriate for the course outcomes and requirements that fully leverage the benefits of the modality; collaborate with educational technologists to analyze the educational technologies to support the instructional approach.
- Collaborate with interactive learning designers to develop a rich, interactive media in support of the program and course-level outcomes.
- Collaborate with faculty to develop the course map or activity path and deliver the course syllabus, schedule and instructional design template; review and revise syllabi for new and existing programs based on feedback from the Office of Education; build high-quality courses in Moodle that utilize educational technology tools such as Articulate, Zoom, Voicethread, Panopto among others.
- Conduct online quality assurance reviews and offer recommendations for improvement; identify creative solutions for course improvements, and to recommend need for revision (re-entry into the development cycle); assist faculty in considering and implementing in-flight changes to pilot version courses.
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Three (3) years related experience.
- Strong creative and process thinking abilities.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders who often hold competing interests.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and communicate effectively with stakeholders on a cross-functional team and deliver results under prescribed deadlines.
- Ability to define and manage his/her own work processes towards specified team objectives.
- Ability to define and manage own work towards specified team objectives.
- Experience using a learning management system (i.e. Moodle) to design and deliver curriculum.
- Ability to evaluate content to determine its appropriateness for target audiences.
- Ability to read, comprehend, analyze and interpret concepts, documents, and data.
- Working knowledge of ADA compliance, Fair Use guidelines, and TEACH Act Proficiency in Microsoft Word and familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Adobe Acrobat.
- Knowledge of andragogy, instructional design theories and models, online pedagogy, assessment, and learning theories.
- Master's degree preferred, especially in Educational Technology or similar field.
- Experience teaching online and/or hybrid courses in higher education.
- Demonstrated research interest in a field(s) related to education, curriculum and instruction and/or educational technology.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated to transforming students' lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island's oldest private coeducational university, serving almost 8,000 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers more than 60 undergraduate programs, more than 65 master's degree and doctoral programs, and more than 35 certificate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 116,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 43 states and 64 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
- Back Share
To apply, visit https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADELPHI&cws=39&rid=2448