Posting Number: R0003220
Location: Salem Campus
Attention Current Willamette University Employees: In order to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log into your Workday account and apply through the Career worklet.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online application process.
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please complete our online employment application. Your application and all required attachments -- listed at the bottom of the page -- must be submitted for each individual job post that you are interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline, please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline. Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your application.
Responsible for inspecting, repairing and maintaining in good working order all Grounds related equipment and tools. Fabricates, welds and installs handrails, sign posts and other building and grounds elements as assigned. Performs skilled and non-skilled work cleaning and maintaining landscaped areas, trees, turf, paved surfaces, streams, ponds, and fountains. Responsible for installing, repairing and maintaining new landscape plantings and irrigation systems.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Performs minor repairs to hand tools and minor tune-ups of powered hand and riding equipment.
- Maintains equipment by performing preventative maintenance activities.
- Performs engine repairs and preventative maintenance tasks according to manufacturer's recommendations and specifications.
- Performs major and minor repairs to power and hand operated equipment and tools, and performs tune-ups and preventative maintenance tasks on powered hand and power riding equipment.
- Operates and maintains hand and/or powered equipment in accordance with State and Federal OSHA rules and regulations.
- Reports all major equipment repair needs to Grounds Manager.
- Fabricates, welds and installs handrails, sign posts and other building and grounds elements as assigned.
- Makes equipment purchasing, maintenance and repair recommendations to Grounds Manager.
- Inspects and monitors University grounds areas to determine levels of maintenance required and performs needed grounds maintenance tasks using industry recognized practices and procedures.
- Supervises work-study students in the safe operation of all tools and equipment used in grounds maintenance tasks and assigned duties.
- Performs wide variety of turf and athletic field maintenance duties.
- Implements and practices Integrated Pest Management methods to eradicate and control pests using manual or mechanical methods (hand or power operated). Performs specialized plant care practices in high maintenance garden areas such as, but not limited to, the Japanese Garden, Rose Garden, Botanical Garden, and the University President's Residence.
- Installs, modifies, maintains, repairs and tests irrigation systems and landscape planting areas. Prepares and maintains as-built drawings.
- Assists in special event activities and emergency situations, as directed.
- Assists Grounds Manager and Grounds Foreman in instructing student work-study employees in the safe operation of grounds maintenance equipment.
- Dresses appropriately, wearing University-provided uniform articles and arrives on time each work shift.
- Performs grounds snow and/or ice control activities as needed and as directed by the Grounds Manager.
- Is subject to after-hour call back for emergencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned and/or requested by Grounds Manager.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Time Management - Ability to utilize the available time to organize and complete work within given deadlines.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position. High school education or equivalent strongly preferred.
Certificates & Licenses
- Possession of a valid and current Oregon motor vehicle operator's license of the class needed to operate Willamette University Facilities vehicles.
- Minimum five years commercial grounds maintenance experience.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of hazards and appropriate safety precautions related to grounds maintenance, landscape construction, and the operation of power tools and equipment.
- Must have a working knowledge of industry accepted horticultural practices and methods such as planting, transplanting, pruning, trimming, watering and fertilizing to a wide variety of ornamental, perennial, and native plant materials found growing in the Pacific Northwest.
- Ability to:
- Ability and willingness to work for extended periods of time while walking and standing for prolonged periods of time and while exposed to dirt, dust, infectious waste, obnoxious odors, chemicals, pressure steam, extremely hot water and inclement weather.
- Carry out written and verbal instructions in English, with minimal supervision.
- Set job and project priorities, prepare maintenance and project reports. Maintains work/project/inventory records.
- Direct and coordinate work-study student employees.
- Operate various hand and power tools/equipment.
- Perform irrigation system modifications and renovations.
- Frequently and safely lift 10 pounds and occasionally lifting between 11-50 pounds.
- The ability to effectively interact with a variety of people in a manner that emphasizes strong customer service and portrays the University's programs, personnel and philosophies in a positive manner.
- Ability to work independently as well as establish and maintain harmonious relations with other staff, faculty and students.
- An employer-paid pre-employment physical is required.
All University positions require that candidates submit to a criminal conviction record check prior to hire. Conviction does not automatically preclude candidates from being hired. Nature of conviction will be considered relative to the duties of the position.
You will need to upload the following two documents as part of your application materials in the "My Experience" section labeled Resume:
- Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve emphasis
- Current Resume (including the name and email address of 3 references)
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Apply online at https://willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/willametteuniversityjobs/job/Salem-Campus/Groundskeeper-Mechanic_R0003220-1
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.