Publicity Assistant - Hourly
University Communications and Marketing
Adelphi University is currently undergoing an initiative to substantially raise its local, national, and international reputation. University Communications and Marketing will accomplish this through strategic communications and marketing initiatives that will ensure strong and consistent branding, throughout all printed, online and media outlets, increased visibility, and improved recognition of Adelphi's strategic positioning, academic programs, educational quality and achievements.
The publicity assistant helps find and develop stories that support the reputation of Adelphi, as well as monitoring news outlets for relevant mentions and inclusions. The assistant is part of a small team that heads up external and internal media for the University.
This position is a 20-hour per week position at a rate of $20.50 per hour.
REPORTS TO: Strategic Communications Director
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
News Media Relations and Outreach
- Work with University faculty and administrative contacts to obtain information for stories.
- Produce copy that is engaging, strategically focused and free of errors while following University style.
- Monitor Adelphi inclusions in the media through Google News and paid service (Meltwater).
- Write and distribute news releases via email and through a hometown news service (Merit).
- Regularly review services such as ProfNet and HARO (Help a Reporter Out) for Adelphi expert opportunities.
- Maintain news distribution lists using tools including paid news database (Meltwater) and as well as researching on news websites.
- Assist with news media campus visits and accompany reporters and photo/videographers while on campus.
- Contribute ideas at regular content meetings and update story spreadsheets as appropriate.
- Write stories for University outlets such as Insider, as assigned.
- Monitor and contribute ideas for University social media channels, particularly the @AdelphiUMedia Twitter account.
REQUIREMENTS (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Strong writing and proofreading skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A collaborative mindset.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to connect factual information and identify specific needs for publications, websites, etc.
- Knowledge of Excel/Google Sheets and Word/Google Docs.
- Experience with social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter.
- Ability to work night and weekend hours, when necessary.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum of one year related experience.
- Back Share
To apply, visit https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADELPHI&cws=39&rid=2446