Music Education (Band) Faculty
This is a full-time, continuing faculty status (tenure)-track, professorial position.
Qualifications: (1) Doctorate required; (2) Record of successful teaching of instrumental music in public/private school setting required; collegiate-level teaching desirable; (3) Record of successful conducting of concert, marching, and/or jazz bands; (4) Strong interest and skills in music teacher education and/or music education scholarship; (5) Experience with teaching popular music and/or educational technology desirable.
Responsibilities: (1) Teach undergraduate music education courses; (2) Supervise student teachers; (3) Conduct BYU Symphonic Band; (4) Serve as Associate Director of Bands; (5) Pursue creative and/or scholarly endeavors which may include performance, presentation, and scholarly research/creative works in accordance with the School of Music Rank and Status Document; (6) Take an active role in the Music Education Division including the recruitment/audition/review process of potential students and other responsibilities as assigned; (7) Develop and maintain working relationships with area schools; (8) Develop opportunities to serve in professional organizations and affiliations; (9) Serve on school, college, and university committees as assigned.
The School of Music at Brigham Young University is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music and has 450 majors enrolled in its undergraduate and graduate programs. The School has 50 full-time and approximately 60 adjunct faculty members and offers instruction leading to a variety of degrees, including the B.A., B.M., B.F.A., M.A., and M.M. Brigham Young University, which is supported by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has an enrollment of 33,500 students drawn from all over the world. BYU is located 50 miles south of Salt Lake City, Utah.
BYU, an equal opportunity employer, requires all faculty to observe the university's honor code and dress and grooming standards. Preference is given to qualified candidates who are members in good standing of the affiliated church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The Brigham Young University School of Music recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to music education. Our mission is to create and maintain an environment for learning that promotes respect for and appreciation of scholarship, academic freedom, human diversity, and the cultural mosaic of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; to promote excellence in instruction and creative and intellectual accomplishment; and to provide broadly accessible higher education for its students. We recognize and honor the innovation and growth that comes from voices of all kinds, and we celebrate creativity and diversity in the School of Music. We seek applicants who demonstrate a commitment to this perspective or have experience that would further the school's diversity goals. Prospective candidates are invited to include a brief diversity statement with their application.
- Submit a university application, cover letter, curriculum vitae, and diversity statement online at https://yjobs.byu.edu
- Upload transcripts with the application or have the required official transcript for the highest degree received sent to the search committee chair (Paul Broomhead, email@example.com).
- Upload to the application a link to one video of a conducted performance.
- Upload to the application one example of scholarly writing.
- Upload to the application a link to a video of recent classroom teaching in the form of an ensemble rehearsal (minimum of 30 minutes in length).
- Upload to the application a link to a video of recent classroom teaching in the form of a non-rehearsal setting such as a methods class (minimum of 30 minutes in length).
- If applicant is currently teaching at a college/university, submit the last three years of institutional teaching/student ratings either by upload with the application or directly to the search committee chair.
- All materials must be received by the application deadline: October 15, 2020.
Search committee chair is Dr. Paul Broomhead, School of Music, C-550 HFAC, BYU, Provo UT 84602; firstname.lastname@example.org; 801-422-2317