Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs & Dean of the College
Carroll College seeks a Senior Vice President for
Academic Affairs & Dean of the
Location: Helena, Montana
Click here to view position profile: https://summitsearchsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/CarrollCollege_SVPAA_Profile.pdf
Reporting to the President and serving on the president’s executive cabinet, the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs & Dean of the College (SVPAA) is the Chief Academic Officer of the College and provides leadership to all academic areas to advance the mission of the institution. The SVPAA is an advocate for all academic programs, provides leadership to faculty and academic staff to ensure consistent quality standards in curriculum and programs that meet the needs of students. The SVPAA oversees the academic integrity of the College and provides dynamic, innovative leadership in long-range planning; budgeting; new program development and academic innovation and ensures compliance with various accreditation agencies.
The SVPAA provides leadership and direction in the recruitment, appointment, development, and retention of faculty; administering the College’s academic division (including library, registrar’s office, academic resource center, academic technology, honors scholars program, veteran services, and global education) and securing appropriate allocation of financial and physical resources to support the ongoing viability of academic programs. The SVPAA directly supervises the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Director of the Library, the Registrar, the Director of Academic Support Services, Accessibility Services Coordinator, the Director of the Honors Scholars Program, and the Director of Academic Technology.
The next SVPAA will join Carroll College at an exciting time. The SVPAA will:
- Become part of a newly constituted senior leadership team joining President Cech (appointed two years ago).
- Guide the ongoing restructuring of the institution building on the program prioritization process completed in 2019-20.
- Work with an experienced faculty body to launch new graduate and undergraduate programs - two of which have received full approvals.
- Join a culture rooted in relationships and ultimately preparing students not just academically but to lead full and joyful lives.
- Contribute to an institution ranked #1 nine years in a row in the U.S. News and World Report “Best Regional Colleges in the West.”
- Live in an area that has been described as “idyllic” and ranked 27th on the list of the Top 100 Best Places to Live.
The SVPAA serves as the chief administrative officer for the College in the absence of the President.
Duties and Responsibilities
Guide the academic vision and strategic plan of the institution with a keen eye toward the future of higher education and attention to emerging trends, challenges, and opportunities within the industry and among external stakeholders.
Serve as part of the President’s Executive Cabinet and guide short- and longer-term operational strategies consistent with the vision and mission of the institution.
Cultivate collaborative leadership and shared governance with academic leaders and the Faculty Assembly to facilitate appropriate involvement and representation of the faculty in the leadership and planning for Carroll College.
Administer the College’s academic affairs division and provide leadership for all division academic and administrative programs and work with faculty leadership and staff to facilitate appropriate program development, program review, and assessment.
- Earned doctorate from a regionally accredited institution.
- Significant experience as a senior-level academic administrator.
- Demonstrated record of ethical, dynamic, and innovative leadership, with excellent interpersonal and problem solving as well as a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Experience working within and promoting strong systems of shared governance between faculty and administration that increases collaboration, creates useful links between constituencies, and builds needed partnerships.
- Understanding of the Catholic intellectual tradition and the ability to articulate the benefits of a liberal arts education in that context.
- Record of building and sustaining enrollment for new academic programs.
- Demonstrated experience in planning, budgeting, and financial management.
- Excellent communication skills that build and enhance relationships with a wide variety of audiences.
- Record of successfully raising money for mission-driven activities.
- An understanding of and commitment to the institution’s Catholic identity and corresponding mission and values.
- Ability to be a “leader of leaders,” working with academic, departmental, and other leaders to shape an academic vision that builds on past successes and galvanizes the campus community to contribute to the work of a maturing leadership team.
- Demonstrated effective leadership with issues of both undergraduate and graduate programs, and innovative course delivery including on-line and hybrid academic courses and programs.
- A genuine global and international perspective.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an organization that is not rigidly hierarchical, in which leadership grows out of authentic relationships.
- Willingness and desire to be engaged in College activities and functions associated with its Catholic identity.
- Knowledgeable about key issues and trends affecting private colleges nationally.
- A strong advocate for effective strategic planning and resource allocation.
- Demonstrated ability to make important difficult decisions in transparent ways.
- Advocate for faculty compensation and benefits.
- Being a practicing Roman Catholic would distinguish a candidate.
About Carroll College
Carroll College, located in Montana’s state capital Helena, is a private, four-year, Catholic diocesan college providing undergraduate education to 1200 students. Founded in 1909, Carroll has distinguished itself as a preeminent and award-winning leader in academic programs including pre-medical, natural sciences, nursing, engineering, mathematics, the social sciences and the liberal arts. Students choose Carroll for its combination of exceptional academic programs, affordable tuition with generous financial aid and scholarship opportunities, and the strong close-knit community that exists on a beautiful campus in the heart of the Rocky Mountains. See www.carroll.edu.
As U.S. News & World Report releases its annual “Best Colleges Rankings”, Carroll College once again finds itself at the top of the list for “Best Regional Colleges in the West.” This marks the ninth year in a row that Carroll has held the #1 spot, earning a perfect overall score of 100 with the 2020 rankings providing data on over 1,900 schools. Additionally, Carroll is ranked #3 “Regional Best Value College in the West”, ranking in the top three for four years in a row, and the #1 “Regional College in the West for Veterans” for the fifth year in a row. In the classrooms, labs, and athletic fields, Carroll College sets a higher standard. Click here to read more distinctions and rankings for Carroll College.
Confidential review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; parties who apply by October 18, 2020, will be given first consideration. Please submit a PDF version of your resume and a letter of interest explaining your suitability for this position. To apply online, go to https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=su209.
For more information or to offer recommendations:
Kristen Farha, MS
Summit Search Solutions, Inc.
Carroll College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to compliance with state and federal anti-discrimination laws, including Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. Acts of discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct, and retaliation are prohibited and will be addressed consistent with this policy.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Helena
- Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Helena
- Chief Academic Officers & Vice Presidents Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Helena
- Deans Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Helena