A full-time position for a research associate is available in the laboratory of Dr. Benjamin Frankfort at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas. Dr. Frankfort is a clinician scientist with clinical and research focus on glaucoma, a blinding neurodegenerative disease. The lab aims to understand the basic mechanisms of glaucoma and uses a combination of genetic and inducible models to study the effects of elevated eye pressure on various aspects of retinal biology.
The Research Associate works closely with the PI to coordinate one or more research projects. Duties are wide ranging and variable, and the ideal candidate will be comfortable learning new techniques to adjust as needed to scientific hypotheses. Core responsibilities will include oversight of multiple experiments. Skills in immunohistochemistry, cell biology, mouse husbandry, statistics, data analysis, and record keeping are expected. Skills in physiology, cell culture, and biochemistry are extremely desirable.
- Collects, prepares, analyzes, dissects and evaluates specimens and/or tissue cultures.
- Assists in making chemical analyses of body fluids and tissues; performs venipuncture and obtains blood specimens.
- Weighs and anesthetizes laboratory animals for experiments and maintains records on such animals relative to feeding and physical condition.
- Operates laboratory equipmentl contributes to laboratory maintenance.
- Performs a variety of assays, tests, and studies of a routing nature.
- Performs calculations to complete research test results; collates data; performs statistical analysis of lab results and maintain notes and log or computer database.
- Performs electron microscopy, x-ray, and electrochemical techniques.
- Assists with small animal surgery.
- Calibrates laboratory equipment.
- Maintains highly detailed records.
- Performs specialized and complex experiments in such areas a molecular biology, cell culture.
- Master's degree in Basic Science or a related field. Experience in lieu of degree will not be accepted.
- Three years of relevant experience typically as a Research Assistant, Research Technician or Postdoctoral Fellow/Associate.
- Immunohistochemistry, cell biology, mouse husbandry, statistics, data analysis.
- Physiology, cell culture, and biochemistry.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
CA; CH; PD
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston