Senior Tutor - Writing Center
Posting Job Title
Senior Tutor - Writing Center
Number of openings
Assist writers from all disciplines with grammar, writing, speech, and various self-paced materials in the Writing Center. Tutors may work one-on-one with students who schedule appointments or may work with drop-in students needing immediate assistance. Other duties as assigned may include helping students with basic technology support and occasional work at JCCC off-campus locations. This position should expect to work up to 13 hours per week during service hours (currently daytime, evenings, and/or weekends)
- Bachelor's degree or higher in English, Education, Liberal Arts, or related field
- Completion of Composition 1 and Composition 2 with B or better (JCCC Preferred)
- Two years tutoring or teaching experience, with minimum of one year in a college Writing Center
- Ability to tutor students at every stage of the writing process, particularly in Composition I and II courses
- Good communications skills, including listening with patience and understanding.
- Excellent grammar and writing skills with the ability to explain concepts, provide example in both oral and written form
- Ability to learn and utilize effective tutoring techniques following best practices
- Experience with and proficient use of technology, Microsoft Office products, Learning Management Systems, email and educational databases
- College Reading and Language Association certification (CRLA), level 1 certified
Required application documents
Please submit a resume with the application.
Hours per Week
Up to 13 hours per week
Days and hours will vary.
Salary Grade Level
$18.81 per hour
Overland Park Main Campus
Every employee of the college is expected to treat all members of the college community with dignity and respect demonstrating professional, courteous and respectful behavior and engage in constructive conflict resolution, when needed.
In accordance with the college policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. Individual hiring departments at JCCC may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process. Many departments require those selected for hire to submit a certified transcript for all degrees obtained. For full consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply prior to the review date listed in posting.
Johnson County Community College welcomes the application of any qualified candidate and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, religion, marital status, national origin, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or other factors which cannot be lawfully considered, to the extent specified by applicable federal and state laws.
If you are an applicant requesting assistance or a reasonable accommodation in the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 913-469-3877, or email Hr@jccc.edu.
For a summary of all disclosures (Background check, Clery Act, ADA, EOE, etc.) refer to the links on our Career page.
Advertised: 09 Sep 2020 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: 14 Dec 2020 Central Standard Time