Position Number: E 764
Salary for Announcement: The starting salary for this position is $41,200 . The final salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Employee Category: Administrators
Department: Accounting Services
The Payroll Accountant provides technical and accounting support for the Office of the Controller by managing semimonthly and monthly payroll processes in the Banner Payroll sub-system, reconciling payroll liability accounts, managing the annuity accounts, and maintaining accurate and complete records of payroll documents while complying with all federal, state and local payroll tax regulations as well as fiscal rules of the University. The Payroll Accountant processes and maintains all tax levies and garnishments. Front-line customer service, policy and procedure manual development, problem resolution, and forms and procedure revision responsibilities will also be included, to maintain efficient and accurate processing of payroll transactions.
Metropolitan State University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer.
70% Performs Payroll Processes
Performs the full process of semimonthly and/or monthly payrolls, related benefits and deductions, including but not limited to the calculation of overtime, vacation payouts, leave without pay, and review employee’s contracts, PAFs, and any salary activities. Also includes:
• Ensures accuracy of preliminary and final payroll reports, spreadsheets including overlapping hours, related to electronic “Web Time” entry process.
• Provides excellent customer service by responding to inquiries regarding payroll procedures (e.g. wage levies and garnishments, contributions, direct deposits, etc.) assisting employees, taking appropriate action and/or complying with established fiscal guidelines.
• Reconciles payrolls after closing and notifies accounting department when payrolls are ready to post in the Finance system. Balances and reconciles payroll liabilities.
• Prepares payroll reports and statements of employees’ benefits including but not limited to medical, dental, and life insurance coverages. Processes payments of retirement plan, annuity accounts, garnishments, tax levies and other deductions.
• Performs adjustments on employees’ payrolls to ensure correct records and information for year-end.
• Contacts employees and performs adjustments and/or submits documentation for collections.
• Redistributes payroll transfers upon other departments’ request.
• Collaborates with Human Resources, Info Tech personnel and other Payroll and Accounting staff, analyzes new processes as they pertain to payroll to ensure payroll actions coordinate with the Banner System and other departments. Works with IT to develop sub processes as needed for new requirements that arise due to regulatory changes or data documentation changes.
• Cross trains with other employees in the Payroll department.
10% Processes manual checks/direct deposits when needed. Researches, prepares information on over/underpayments for employees and fixes discrepancies.
10% Assists auditors for the purpose of providing supporting documentation and/or information on internal processes.
5% Supports writing and implementing procedures and policies for the Payroll department and assists with cross-training all Payroll personnel. Develops and documents new procedures when necessary.
5% Performs other duties as assigned to ensure a smooth payroll process for all payrolls.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or other related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience (please note that one year of education is equal to two years of experience).
• Payroll processing experience.
• Excellent communication and customer service experience.
• Incredible attention to detail.
• Full cycle payroll experience.
• Banner Finance and HR or equivalent system, experience.
• Public sector and/or higher education experience.
Posting Date: 07/09/2020
Closing Instructions: Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant:
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered as an applicant you must apply via the online application system, www.msudenverjobs.com.
References refers to a list of three professional references and their contact information.
Official transcripts will be required of the candidate selected for hire.
To apply, visit https://www.msudenverjobs.com/postings/13879