Arts, Business, Humanities & Social Sciences Associate Dean
Arts, Business, Humanities & Social Sciences Associate Dean
Hiring Range: $66,000 -
Department: ADM-COMM & HUMAN DIV (Thomas Nelson)
Job Type: Full-Time
Open Date: 8/31/2020
Open Until Filled: Yes
The Division for Arts, Business Humanities and Social Science contains a wide variety of academic programs including Associate of Science degrees, Associate of Applied Science degrees, Associate of Arts degrees, Certificates, and Career Studies Certificates that support direct transfer to 4-year colleges and universities, as well as direct pathways to careers. The academic disciplines include Social Science, Liberal Arts, Graphic and Media Design, Business Administration, Accounting.
The Associate Dean reports to the division dean and provides leadership and oversight for an academic division of instructional programs and courses that support the first two years of baccalaureate education and prepare students to directly enter the workforce. In conjunction with the division dean, the associate dean provides a key leadership role in recruitment, professional development, evaluation, and promotion of full-time and adjunct faculty. In close collaboration with the faculty and other academic administrators, the Associate Dean promotes and ensures quality, integrity, currency, and responsiveness of all instructional activities and promotes the division’s vision that advances the College’s mission and contributes to achievement of the College’s goals and objectives for student success. By supporting the division’s innovative partnerships and grant opportunities, the associate dean represents the College in community outreach.
Responsible for assisting with the oversight and management of Division in collaboration with the Dean.
- Gives focused attention to budgetary planning and operational processes that effectively support the needs of College.
- Proposes, creates, and implements projects and initiatives that serve the College’s strategic goals for student success, excellence, and innovative partnerships.
- Serves as liaisons with internal and external auditors while ensuring compliance with statutes, policies, regulations and procedures of the VCCS and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Directs, plans, organizes, and provides leadership to the day to day operations and recruit, develop, supervise, support, and evaluate full-time and part-time faculty.
- Participates in creating and administering the division budget to ensure effective and efficient use of the division’s resources.
- Leads, manages, and coordinates assessment of college and division goals and of outcomes.
- Resolves student, faculty and staff complaints based on applicable policies and procedures.
- Acts on behalf of the Division Dean and represent the division as needed.
Curriculum Management and program management •
- Ensures compliance with requirements and standards for SACSCOC and specialized or programmatic accreditation with special attention to student learning outcomes.
- Conducts systematic curriculum development and review, ensuring continued excellence in signature programs, and building new and emerging programs.
- Coordinates with program and department chairs on curricula, scheduling, staffing, and assessment.
- Creates faculty class schedule assignments and monitor and report faculty workload.
- Promotes and ensures quality, accuracy, and responsiveness of student advising.
- Promotes effective use of technology in face-to-face and online instruction.
In conjunction with faculty and administrative staff, develop pathways for timely program completion and meets the needs of students and community stakeholders both on and off campus. •
- Works with Workforce Development and business and industry to develop and maintain internship and cooperative education opportunities for students.
- Reviews processes and procedures and collaborate in the implementation of new technologies and workflows to improve services to students.
- Works with four-year colleges and universities to develop and maintain innovative partnerships that provide effective pathways for efficient transfer.
- Provides leadership for special programs and initiatives, to include dual enrollment, early college, and college readiness in conjunction with regional high schools; developmental mathematics; honors; student cohorts and learning communities; service learning.
- Ensures compliance with all Federal/State laws.
KSA’s Required Qualifications:
Education and Experience:
- A master’s degree in field or a master’s degree with 18 graduate semester credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university in a discipline served by the Division.
- Experience in curriculum development, assessment and accreditation, integrated higher education student information systems and development and application of academic policies and procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Financial management and strong analytical skills.
- Exceptional presentation skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Leadership ability for team oriented environment.
- Superior strategic and tactical planning skills.
- Work cooperatively with multiple constituencies, both internal and external.
- Write effective and accurate reports.
- Maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- Resolve problems and to develop relevant alternatives and recommendations.
- Manage multiple tasks, be organized and detail oriented.
- Work at all campus and off site locations.
- Work independently and as a part of a project team to meet deadlines.
- Train staff and campus services programs and policies.
- Ability to use current administrative and instructional information technology hardware, software, platforms, and social media.
- Experience with one or more of the following: dual enrollment, early college, and college readiness in conjunction with regional high schools; developmental mathematics; honors; student cohorts and learning communities; service learning.
- Familiarity with SACSCOC accreditation standards as well as any applicable specialized accreditation, certification, and licensure requirements.
- Teaching and/or administrative experience at a college or university and experience with college transfer and career & technical programs.
- Specialized knowledge and experience in:
- Implementing best practices and innovative strategies that support teaching and learning.
- Supervising personnel, training methodologies, and communication techniques.
- Planning, implementing, and monitoring of budgets
- Managing and developing curriculum.
Hours of Duty: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Some evenings and weekends may be required.
Must be able to work at all campus locations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
The search will remain open until the position is filled; however, to be considered for the initial screening, candidates should submit a complete application package by September 30, 2020. Complete application packages will include a cover letter, resume, and unofficial copies of college transcripts related to the degree requirement. All transcripts from foreign institutions of higher education must be verified by an evaluation agency. Apply online at: https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/26520.
BACKGROUND CHECK STATEMENT: The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of an extensive criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment), and other checks requested by the VCCS such as I-9 and E-Verify requirements. Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic Interest. http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
Virginia’s Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.