VP for Research, Innovation and Economic Development
Tarleton State University, (second largest university in the Texas A&M system – and growing) seeks a VP for Research, Innovation and Economic Development (VPR) to serve as the Chief Research Officer and Institutional Officer for Federal Granting Agency of the University.
The Texas A&M University System is one of the largest systems of higher education in the nation, with a budget of $4.55 billion. Through a statewide network of 11 universities and seven state agencies, the Texas A&M System educates more than 152,000 students and makes more than 22 million additional educational contacts through service and outreach programs each year. System-wide, research and development expenditures exceeded $972 million in FY 2016, helping drive the state’s economy.
As founding member of the Texas A&M University System, Tarleton is rich in history and tradition while being fully committed to student success and diversity. Tarleton strives to develop moral and ethical thinkers, scholars and leaders who demonstrate civility and integrity, while contributing meaningfully and responsibly to a global society.
Providing an innovative and transformative educational experience, Tarleton State University and its six instructional sites (one online) are on a phenomenal growth trajectory. Their new Fort Worth campus alone is projected to serve more than 9,000 students by 2030. Tarleton-Fort Worth is the only public education institution in Fort Worth. As a whole, Tarleton State offers more than 100 undergraduate, graduate and certificate programs.
The university’s primary campus (where the VPR will be based) is in Stephenville, just southwest of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. A new 98,000-square-foot engineering building is testament of Tarleton’s commitment to the future. The addition puts Tarleton’s engineering, engineering technology, and computer science programs at the forefront of educational delivery for these disciplines.
Tarleton State boasts the 3rd largest agriculture program in Texas and 25th in the nation, and is one of only a handful of universities that has a working dairy. Tarleton’s research centers include the renowned Texas Institute for Applied Environmental Research, the Center for Agribusiness Excellence and the Southwest Regional Dairy Center.
Of special note: Tarleton is currently in the process of designing a new free-standing research center. The VPR will have the honor of participating in the design and build of this new state-of-the-art research facility.
In addition to fantastic academics, Tarleton State boasts a fabulous student life and deeply rooted traditions as well. Tarleton Texans truly serve and support the school, have unmatched school spirit and loyalty, and make the university one of the friendliest places you will ever visit. Tarleton’s athletics recently transitioned to NCAA Division 1.
The VPR for Tarleton State University will:
- Provide oversight to the planning, coordination, and administration of all research and economic development initiatives at the university.
- Establish the overall climate of a major division of the university through responsive leadership, delegation, decision-making, and evaluation.
- Provide overall leadership and supervision for the Division of Research, Innovation and Economic Development, which includes the following three units: Texas Institute for Applied and Environmental Research, Center for Agribusiness Excellence, and Small Business Development Center.
- Guide institutional strategic planning for research and sponsored program development, economic impact, technology transfer and entrepreneurial initiatives.
- Coordinate ongoing and emerging initiatives among the division's units to develop strategic internal and external partnerships.
- Foster research and scholarly activity within the university community.
- Facilitate multidisciplinary research opportunities and development of campus-wide initiatives.
- Oversee the development of grant proposals, negotiation of grants and contracts related to complex research initiatives.
- Ensure effective administration of research and support for pre- and post-award steps.
- Ensure research compliance with the Texas A&M System and state and federal standards.
- Oversee the administration of compliance programs, including but not limited to oversight of the Institutional Review Board (IRB), Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), Conflict of Interest (COI), and Export Controls.
- Coordinate with Texas A&M System, state, and federal offices regarding relevant policies, programs and initiatives.
- Lead selected efforts on economic development and engagement at the university, regional, state, and national levels with an emphasis on Rural Texas Economic Impact through research, innovation and enhancing economic opportunities.
- Partner closely with industry and community members to better understand workforce needs and market trends, and to forge collaborations that can benefit both the university, and the regional and national economy.
- Remain up to date on market trends and keep the university on the leading edge of future developments in the field.
- Participate as a member of the President’s Executive Team.
- Participate in university planning, budgeting, policy, procedure development and implementation.
Requirements include an earned doctorate with 10 years of leadership experience in research and grants administration and the development of cross-disciplinary research ventures. Demonstrated leadership and management experience to integrate the academic and administrative activities in research is also required, as is a demonstrated history of successful grantsmanship with a sustained funded research portfolio. Experience in rural economic development is preferred.
This position offers a unique opportunity to creatively and proactively work as a change agent for the betterment of the university, the community, the region, and the nation.
Applications may be submitted to: TarletonVPR@AnthemExecutive.com
Tarleton State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, Tarleton does not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, retaliation, serious medical condition, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, spousal affiliation or protected veteran status in its program or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs.
Apply for VP for Research, Innovation and Economic Development
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly