Research Technician II
We are looking for a freshly graduated person with a Bachelor's degree in a basic science. This position will perform molecular biology experiments, transgenesis experiments with fruit flies, sophisticated genetic crosses with flies, confocal microscopy, immunostaining of fly tissues, maintaintenance of fly stocks, and tissue culture experiments with human cells. The position will work with a senior postdoctoral fellow who will guide and train her/him as needed. Assists a senior postdoctoral fellow with a project that involves the modeling of a human disease in fruit flies. This technician will need to perform: molecular biology experiments, transgenesis experiments and sophisticated genetic crosses with flies, immunostaining of fly tissues, confocal microscopy, maintaining of fly stocks, and tissue culture experiments with human cells.
- Perform sophisticated cloning experiments to insert human cDNAs in vectors, create variants, deletions.
- Produce the corresponding transgenic flies using genetic crosses.
- Determine where the genes are expressed by immunostaining and perform confocal microscopy to assess where the genes are expressed and where the proteins are loclalized subcellularly.
- Use genetic crosses with other mutants to suppress or enhance the observed phenotypes.
- Extrapolate data observed in flies in human cultured cells to assess if the models generated in flies are evolutionarily conserved.
- Transfer of stocks when needed.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or related field. Four years of related experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- No experience required with a Bachelor's degree in a basic science or related field.
Research experience in a wet bench science lab.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston