Vice President for Advancement and Executive Director
Dakota State University invites nominations, expressions of interest and applications for the position of Vice President for Advancement and Executive Director (VPAED) of the Dakota State University Foundation and Alumni Association. Reporting directly to the University President, and serving on the President’s Cabinet, the Vice President is the chief executive officer of the Dakota State University Foundation and Alumni Association. As the chief administrator, the VPAED is responsible for hiring and leading an advancement team of programming and fund-raising professionals. The vice president is charged with making sure the staff collectively has the skills needed to perform the various jobs required and provides ongoing staff development to enhance their performances. The Vice President sets the example that motivates the staff and Foundation Board of Trustees to accomplish the foundation’s goals.
Specific Performance Expectations for the
• To raise funds to support the University’s programs and to provide scholarships and grants in support of students. The VPAED makes sure all fund-raising efforts stay on track by attending fundraising events, overseeing the work of the professional staff, and works to improve the effectiveness of fund-raising initiatives and campaigns. As the face of the Foundation and Alumni Association, the VPAED builds and maintains long-term relationships with key donors and potential donors.
• A major campaign for capital improvements, scholarship support, academic program support and endowment growth is in the early stages of planning and implementation. The new VP will be responsible for providing the primary leadership for organizing and implementing this emerging campaign effort.
• In collaboration with team members, provide leadership to the creation and successful implementation of written annual and multi-year strategic plans for all aspects of advancement and Foundation programs.
• To collaborate with others in the Madison, Sioux Falls, and other communities throughout South Dakota and the region to increase and maintain the foundation’s visibility and constituent engagement efforts. The VPAED attends community events to demonstrate the foundation’s role within the community and to help ensure that others will attend the foundation’s events. The vice president is charged with setting a collaborative leadership example that will encourage cooperation and good working relationships with the Foundation staff, within the foundation board of trustees, with all external constituents and in the local Madison community.
• To work collaboratively with the University (leadership, faculty, staff and community) and the Board of Trustees in formulating and implementing the strategic direction and goals while communicating regularly with the President’s Cabinet and the Board of Trustees. Actively engage with faculty members, staff members, athletic leadership and coaches to achieve the philanthropic and relationship development goals of the University.
• To provide the leadership, communication, management skills and effective internal and external relations that provide transparency to the operations while overseeing day-to-day operations including organizing service day projects, managing volunteers, event budgets and logistics, and vendor relationships.
• To create a reliable and visionary strategic planning effort at both the university level (with the members of the President’s Cabinet) and at the Foundation level (with the University President, the President of the Foundation Board of Trustees, and trustees).
• To prepare and propose an annual budget for the Foundation to the President and to the Foundation Board of Trustees, a budget that is grounded in a visionary strategic plan for the Foundation and Alumni Association.
• To identify and build relationships with organizations throughout SD and the region that align with the foundation’s mission.
• To identify, plan, and execute annual events to increase awareness and donor engagement and to create a culture of philanthropy for Dakota State University and its Foundation.
• To enact a substantial public relations function including as a liaison and ambassador, maintaining and creating new relationships on behalf of the Foundation, developing strategies that increase visibility and fundraising activities for the foundation, and serving as primary spokesperson and representative within the community, donors, and major event sponsors.
• To maintain compliance with applicable laws governing a 501c 3 corporation.
Experience and Qualifications Requirements for the
• Bachelor’s degree from a four-year accredited educational institution required, and a master’s degree or higher preferred.
• Demonstratable understanding of charitable organizations, operations, and volunteer management.
• Minimum of five years of full-time experience in community relations and/or corporate foundations, staff management, development, and fundraising.
• Excellent written communication and verbal presentation skills
• Ability to work independently, proactively, and collaboratively within an organization.
• Have a passion for connecting with the community to continue building on the work of the Dakota State University Foundation and Alumni Association. Have a strong passion for the mission of DSU as a public institution devoted to serving students from our region and beyond.
Applications must be submitted on-line at https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu. Applicants must submit a cover letter, a current curriculum vitae (CV), transcript and contact information for five professional references.
Screening of candidates will begin Oct 1, 2020, with the position open until filled.
Dakota State University (DSU) is located in Madison, S.D. Founded in 1881, DSU offers undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral programs through its colleges of arts and sciences, business and information systems, computer and cyber sciences, and education. DSU has a special focus on the development, application, implications, and impacts of computing, information technologies and cyber security in all areas of human endeavor. DSU has received multiple Center of Excellence designations in education, research and regional resource development from the U.S. National Security Agency and U.S. Department of Homeland Security. DSU is home to the Madison Cyber Labs (MadLabs), a cyber R&D hub with labs and institutes that explore and advance technology application, workforce development, business expansion, economic growth, and policy improvement across multiple disciplines and fields.
For more information, visit the DSU website at www.dsu.edu/careers.
DSU is located in Madison, South Dakota in the southern lakes region of the state. The region boasts a wealth of outdoor sports and a life-style possible only in smaller towns and rural communities. Madison is just a 50-minute drive from Sioux Falls, the largest city in South Dakota.
Dakota State employees receive a comprehensive and flexible benefits package including paid time off, health and retirement benefits, and life and disability insurance options. Other benefits include reduced tuition, longevity pay and training opportunities. DSU also provides professional liability coverage.
Dakota State University is committed to recruitment, hiring and retention of minorities. We urge individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Applicants with disabilities are invited to identify any necessary accommodations required in the application process. E-Verify, EOE.
More searches like this
- Administrative Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Madison
- Business & Administrative Affairs Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Madison
- Development & Advancement Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Madison
- Executive Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Madison
- Executive Directors Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Madison