Accounting Technician III
Infrastructure & Sustainability's Business Services division welcomes applications for an Accounting Technician III (ATIII)! This position supports Facilities Management and the Boulder Campus by providing timely and reliable accounting information, budgetary control, and financial analysis to co-workers and the campus community.
The ATIII position’s role in the accomplishment of the mission and objectives of the work unit and the campus is to approve invoices and procurement card transactions incurred by the University, by auditing and processing payment documents, utilizing three computerized accounting systems and reconciling PeopleSoft accounts by analyzing discrepancies and making required corrections.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Office of Infrastructure & Sustainability (I&S) is responsible for an annual operating budget of $112 million. Areas of responsibility include long-range capital planning, real estate development, architecture, design and construction, the operation and maintenance of all campus facilities and utilities, transportation services, workplace accident prevention and the creation of a safe working environment for campus employees, environmental health and safety, campus logistics, and efforts around sustainability and resiliency.
Beyond creating a safe and secure environment at CU Boulder, the department is embarking on several projects that are key to the strategic vision of the campus including: creating a clear and comprehensive framework and methodology for campus master planning; developing strategies and tactics to improve campus sustainability and resiliency; and progressively working within the campus and with our community partners to positively impact humanity.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Approve Invoices for Payment After Receipt of Verification:
- Approve Facilities Management invoices for payment to outside entities by auditing and authorizing vouchers in comparison to purchase orders/standing purchase orders/departmental purchase orders for mathematical accuracy, compliance with purchasing terms and conditions, and Federal, State, and University rules and regulations. Independently identify and research purchasing/payables discrepancies and determine the best course of action to resolve, including working with Procurement Service Center personnel, Facilities Management program managers and vendors. Requires working across all funds, and currently includes activity totaling $3.5 million annually.
Manage Standing Purchase Orders:
- Manage standing purchase order balances. Minimize outstanding balances to avoid overstating encumbrances by using historical activity and projecting future needs, while ensuring adequate balances to meet current contract activity, and adjusting balances between fiscal years. Supervise purchasing and payables activity to ensure fiscal responsibility.
- Serve as liaison between vendors, other campus departments and Facilities Management personnel to answer accounts payable inquiries. Research status of payments accessing Marketplace. Research missing and/or delinquent payments.
Use of Cash Processing System:
- Control cash receipts from vendors for overpayment and credit balances by researching, verifying and depositing checks received into the Cash Processing System (CPS). Advise cashiers of the appropriate PeopleSoft Speedtype and account code to credit while maintaining audit trail. When appropriate, obtain a refund check from the vendor for over-payment of an invoice from the University to the vendor.
Reconcile Work Order PeopleSoft Clearing Accounts:
- Resolve problems arising from incorrect charges and/or coding by preparing journal entries and/or Facilities Management miscellaneous cost entries. Prepare reconciling report.
What You Should Know
For the time being, this position will be working remotely.
What We Can Offer
The anticipated starting salary is $44,760.00, commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Balanced. Be Positive. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Three years of experience in an occupational field related to the work assigned to the position.
- Appropriate education will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
What You Will Need
- Ability to reference a set of decision points based on size, type of payment, and funding source to resolve how to correctly record transactions in different systems: Marketplace, the University's Expense System and FAMIS.
- Expertise to approve invoices for payment after reviewing all documentation. Ability to resolve correct Speedtype and account code for each transaction.
- Resolve systems and data will aid in identifying discrepancies. Take initiative to follow up on issues in advance of being notified by Accounts Payable, and resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Ability to determine the most efficient and effective method to research and resolve reconciling items. An understanding of how information is recorded in each system, and the best scheme for corrections based on each individual problem is required.
- Ability to work closely with non-accountant managers to have a comprehensive understanding of purchasing and payables rules and regulations. Use this as an ongoing opportunity to train staff, while collaborating with the Procurement Service Center and vendors as vital to resolve issues.
- Continue to develop, improve and document the Accounts Payable process for Facilities Management used by the department.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and prioritize.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience working in government or higher education.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Experience using Marketplace and/or FAMIS.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume. Must include date ranges and whether full time or part time work.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
3. DD-214 for veteran applicants.
a. Qualified veterans are eligible for veteran’s preference points within the State classified system. If you are a veteran and would like to have your DD214 evaluated to determine your eligibility for preference points, please attach a copy of your DD214 to this posting. If you do not wish to upload a DD214, please email a copy to HRESmail@colorado.edu or send via fax at 303-492-4693 and reference the job to which you are applying.
4. If using the educational substitution for experience: proof of degree or transcripts.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by September 15, 2020 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Select here for additional information regarding Classified Staff positions: www.cu.edu/cu-careers/special-instructions-classified-staff-applicants
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@Colorado.Edu
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder