Physics Faculty, Full-Time
Community College of Philadelphia
Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission, associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer, employment and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry and the professions. To help address broad economic, cultural and political concerns in the city and beyond, the College draws together students from a wide range of ages and backgrounds and seeks to provide the programs and support they need to achieve their goals.
The Physics Department invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position for the 2021-2022 academic year.
The Physics Department administers several related programs and a wide range of courses:
• Physics courses offered by the Department include courses intended for a general population (history of science and descriptive astronomy), as well as physics courses at the elementary and advanced algebra, and calculus levels.
• The Engineering Science program prepares students for transfer to 4-year engineering programs.
• Applied Science and Engineering Technology prepares students to enter the workforce on a technician level or to continue their studies in a 4-year engineering technology program. Course offerings include Electronics, Additive Manufacturing, Introduction to Nanotechnology, and in the near future, an introductory robotics class.
• Biomedical Equipment Technology prepares students to enter the workforce to repair sophisticated medical equipment and includes an internship program.
• Teach courses in areas such as physics (both calculus and non-calculus based); engineering and engineering technology; electronics, nanotechnology, additive manufacturing (3-D printing), Biomedical Equipment Technology and Robotics.
• Willingness to take on a leadership role in the department, such as coordination of a department program.
• Participate in course/program assessment and development, student mentoring, and retention.
• Maintain office hours to meet with students outside of the classroom and respond to questions or concerns.
• Demonstrate a sense of connection and responsibility for helping the College to achieve success through a commitment to its mission, vision, and values.
• Actively participate in the academic life of the College; including participation in graduation, recruitment events, general assemblies, student life activities and other cross functional teams. Create learning opportunities for students inside and outside of the classroom including opportunities to teach dual-enrollment high school students.
• Communicate effectively, share vision, focus on people, initiate positive change, value differences and foster collaboration. Work with and inspire others to achieve college, department, and individual success. Proactively identify/address problems.
• Establish an inclusive environment in the classroom. Demonstrate an understanding of, and sensitivity to, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of the College's faculty, staff and students.
• Participation in continual assessment and course updates to ensure excellence in meeting program and student learning outcomes.
• Strive for excellence in teaching, applying best practices in field of discipline, and modeling behaviors that encourage student success and retention. Utilize innovative teaching strategies and technologies for online learning and other technology tools to meet the learning needs of a diverse student population.
• Commitment to professional learning and growth, student mentoring, and service to the profession. Remain current in the use of technology, developments within the field of discipline, and developments related to teaching and student success.Minimum Qualifications
• Master's degree in Physics, Engineering or Engineering Technology;
• A Bachelor's degree in Physics, Engineering or Engineering Technology with at least 5 years industry experience in an engineering or engineering technology role;
• An Associate's Degree in Biomedical Equipment Technology and a Bachelor's degree in another field, and at least 5 years industry experience in Biomedical Equipment Technology; Clinical Engineering or Healthcare Technology Management.
• Teaching experience at the college level.
• Experience teaching engineering or engineering technology courses.
• Ph.D. or experience with engineering projects, technical documentation and publications or certifications in the areas of engineering, engineering technology, biomedical equipment technology or electronics.
• Experience teaching online courses.
• Experience in developing and implementing academic programs.
• Industry recognized certifications in Engineering, Engineering Technology, Healthcare Technology Management, or other related fields.
Special Instructions to Applicants
• Interested persons should complete an online application.
• Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
• Name and contact information for three (3) references REQUIRED.
• Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of background checks in accordance with the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law.
• Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Community College of Philadelphia is an affirmative action, equal opportunity and equal access employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally under-represented groups. AA/EOE.
Salary Grade or Rank
Rank 5 or Rank 6