INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS CENTER DIRECTOR
MISSOURI UNIVERSITY OF
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS CENTER DIRECTOR
Missouri University of Science and Technology (Missouri S&T) seeks an innovative leader and scholar to serve as Director of the Intelligent Systems Center (ISC). The ISC is a University Research Center comprising more than 30 faculty with approximately $7.5M in annual expenditures. Current ISC members span multiple departments at Missouri S&T who conduct joint research on projects involving secure cyber and physical systems with emphasis on the methods of sensing, control, simulation, and computational intelligence and their application to manufacturing, energy, smart living, and other systems. The director reports to the Vice Chancellor for Research.
The overarching goal of the ISC Director is to strategically lead ISC to effectively foster collaborative, high-impact research. The successful candidate will lead ISC members toward achieving the Center’s mission to perform basic and applied research to address scientific challenges and technology needs in developing intelligent systems for various industrial and societal applications, with the developed methodologies and technologies applicable to a variety of real-world problems. Specific expectations include:
• Growing the research portfolio of ISC by securing high-impact externally funded, multi-investigator, multi-million-dollar research projects and centers.
• Building strong collaborative relationships with other faculty.
• Building productive relationships with national laboratories, industrial companies, UM System research centers, and other academic institutions.
• Mentoring other ISC members, in particular untenured faculty, in growing their research portfolio.
• Managing the ISC resources to achieve these goals.
The qualified candidates will be renowned scholars with an earned Doctorate in electrical, mechanical, computer, or systems engineering, or a closely related field. They will have demonstrated a strong commitment to inclusion and an outstanding record of excellence in research, teaching, and service at a level commensurate with appointment as a tenured, Full Professor. The successful candidates will possess visionary leadership abilities, rooted in building others, mentoring, and effective communication. Preferred qualifications of the successful candidate include:
• Strong record of collaborative, competitively funded research leading to high-impact, multiinvestigator publications, projects, and/or centers.
• History of successful leadership of multi-investigator research teams.
• Experience in research administration, with a reputation for transparency, fairness, integrity, inclusion, high ethical standards of excellence, and mentoring other researchers.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills that demonstrate resourcefulness, self-assurance, a “can-do” attitude, and a growth mindset.
About Missouri S&T
Missouri S&T is one of the nation’s leading research universities and offers 98 degree programs in 40 disciplines. Founded in 1870 as one of the first technological institutions west of the Mississippi and located about 100 miles west of St. Louis in the multicultural community of Rolla, Missouri S&T is an accessible, safe, and friendly campus surrounded by Ozarks scenery.
College of Engineering and Computing and the College of Arts, Sciences, and Business. Together, the colleges are home to more than 440 titled faculty members, who share a strong commitment to leading-edge research and exceptional teaching. The university’s 99 degree programs include a broad array of engineering, science, computing and technology disciplines, as well as business, social sciences, humanities, and liberal arts at the level of Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degrees, as well as a variety of professional certificates. With a total student enrollment of approximately 8,000, Missouri S&T provides students direct access to outstanding faculty, hands-on experiential learning opportunities, and a world-class, comprehensive education. Over 1,100 dedicated staff members support the university in its mission to create and convey knowledge to help solve the world’s great challenges. The Carnegie Foundation classifies Missouri S&T as a higher research activity institution, with research expenditures in FY 2019 at just over $31 million. The new awards for the FY2020 has surpassed $48 million. The current research expenditure capacity at Missouri S&T is estimated to be about $30 million. For more information, visit http://research.mst.edu/.
Interested candidates should provide a complete CV, a research statement, and a statement of their vision as ISC Director through the Missouri S&T careers page. The position link is included below:
Inquiries may be directed to Dr. Jonathan Kimball, Chair of the search committee, at kimballjw@mst. edu. Partnering on the search is Tim McIntosh, Director of Recruitment for the University of Missouri System (email@example.com). Review of applications will begin October 31, 2020.
Missouri University of Science and Technology is fully committed to achieving the goal of an inclusive workforce that embraces diverse experiences, backgrounds and perspectives with an unabiding commitment to freedom of expression. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery, and excellence.
The University will recruit and employ qualified personnel and will provide equal opportunities during employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or status as a Vietnam-era veteran.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Rolla
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Rolla
- Research Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Rolla
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Rolla
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Rolla