Baylor College of Medicine and Department Summary:
The Department of Anesthesiology at Baylor College of Medicine is focused on patient care and research in all aspects of the specialty including critical care, postoperative cognitive dysfunction, simulator-based anesthesiology education, obstetric anesthesia and pain management.
The Department of Anesthesiology seeks to excel as providers of effective, efficient and ethical anesthesia care for patients at any Baylor-affiliated institution; as providers of educational opportunities for medical students, graduate students, and post-graduate specialty trainees, advanced practice providers, continuing medical education participants, and undergraduates; and as researchers in the basic sciences, clinical milieu, or outcome epidemiology related to anesthesiology practices.
Schedule: Daily operating room schedule. Rotating daily departure list.
Work Location: Texas Medical Center, Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center, Houston, TX
Baylor Anesthesia is seeking a highly skilled Anesthesiologist to join our growing anesthesia team at the Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center. We will be utilizing a physician-led team-based approach for caring for patients in a variety of clinical and acuity settings.
- A highly competitive pay scale
- Flexible scheduling opportunities; multiple work locations may be possible
- Work/Life Balance: 22 days of vacation, 11 paid holidays and education time
- CME dollars
- Great benefits package including: Health, Dental; Retirement Savings Programs (8% contribution to 401(a)), and more;
- To learn more about our benefits, please visit bcm.edu/careers/benefits
Located in the heart of the Texas Medical Center, Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center is jointly owned by Baylor College of Medicine and CommonSpirit Health and is part of the CHI St. Luke's Health System. In addition to the current 850-bed hospital, construction is under way on a second bed tower at the new facility on the McNair Campus in the Texas Medical Center. In the coming years, all inpatient services will transition to Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center - McNair Campus.
- Use intravenous, local, caudal or spinal methods to administer sedation or pain medications during surgical and other medical procedures
- Supervise patients and monitor their pain medications before, during and after surgery; offset adverse complications or reactions; record amount and type of anesthesia as well as the patients' conditions throughout procedures
- Determine risk during medical procedures by taking medical histories, examining patients and ordering diagnostic procedures like x-rays and laboratory tests; discuss with other healthcare professionals about the method and type of anesthetic to make patients numb to pain
- Provide and sustain airway management and life support during emergency surgery
- Monitor patients post-surgery and determine when they are stabilized enough to move to another room or go home
- Manage anesthesiological services and coordinate with other professionals to formulate procedures and plans; direct the duties of medical technicians, nurses and other healthcare support staff
- Educate patients and families on post-procedure care and possible complications; instruct on different ways to prevent disease and improve health
- Performs other job related duties as assigned
Education: Doctor of Medicine degree with anesthesiology residency.
Experience: Minimum of three years of experience as anesthesiologist.
- Required: Board certified in anesthesiology.
- Skilled at epidurals, spinals and ultrasound-guided regional anesthesia.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.