Instructor - Physician Assistant - CHofSA Surgical - Otolaryngology
The Department of Otolaryngology at Baylor College of Medicine seeks to recruit a full-time Physician Assistant at The Children's Hospital of San Antonio to work in collaboration with faculty, residents, and staff caring for a pediatric otolaryngology patient population.
Provides advanced patient care to patients in a clinical setting in an area of specialization under the direction of a physician.
Responsibilities will include clinic and in-patient evaluation, diagnosis, workup, and management of a wide spectrum of ENT ailments. The provider will work in collaboration within physician clinics, as well as their own scheduled clinics. The selected candidate will perform comprehensive histories and physical exams; order and interpret clinical tests, prescribe medications, diagnose and develop treatment plans; educate patients/families on treatment options; and conduct follow-up evaluations. May perform such office procedures as flexible laryngoscopy, nasal endoscopy with debridement, allergy testing, and endoscopic nasal cultures. On-the-job training is available in building these skills. The position affords a tremendous opportunity for autonomy and independent patient care responsibilities. Applicants must be motivated, team-oriented, flexible, and possess exemplary assessment, organization, communication, and time management skills.
- Obtains detailed history and performs physical examinations.
- Orders x-rays, CT scans, MRI's, laboratory tests, and other diagnostic procedures, and interprets results.
- Instructs patients on prescribed therapeutic regimens, home care, and health maintenance.
- Prescribes dispenses and administers pharmaceutical treatments to patients.
- Maintains required records in EPIC; ensures clinic- generated information is complete and up-to-date.
- Monitors and ensures the accuracy of recording on patient medical records and writes progress notes on patient charts.
- Provides follow-up care, education, and support for patients.
- Performs nasal endoscopy with debridement/cultures.
- Performs flexible laryngoscopy.
- May provide supervision, guidance, and work direction to other nurses, medical assistants, clinic coordinators, and other staff.
- Current PA licensure with the Texas Medical Board;
- Current certification with the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants;
- Current controlled substances certificate from the Drug Enforcement Administration;
- Background working with children with chronic illness, and knowledge of long term medications and drug interactions;
- Strong physical assessment and diagnostic skills as well as experience inpatient and family education and coordination of care; and
- Current Certifications in Basic Life Support and Pediatric Advanced Life Support.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.