Proficient research and/or clinical laboratory specialist with a firm understanding of techniques and a solid foundation in the underlying science, gained from some professional experience.
Proficient research laboratory specialist with emphasis on coordination of research sample receipt, shipping, and storage with a firm understanding of laboratory information systems and clinical laboratory sciences gained from experience. Under minimal supervision of the Laboratory Manager or Medical Director or Principal Investigator, performs a variety of both routine and complex clinical and/or research laboratory tests in accordance with established standards and procedures. Runs lab tests and completes measurements as assigned. Identifies and resolves common problems and uses analytical skills to implement assigned projects. Understands the role of senior lab members and accepts constructive guidance. Sets-up experiments based on defined standards. Collects and maintains project data. Provides technical support to other research technologists and research specialists. Specific duties may vary according to rotation assigned.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs a variety of both routine and complex clinical and/or research laboratory tests in accordance with established standards and procedures. Prepares and determines suitability of solutions, reagents and stains, following defined formulas and procedures.
- Reports and records outcomes/results of all tests.
- Exchanges routine information in an appropriate manner requiring good oral and written communication. Regular interaction with students, vendors, post-doctoral fellows, faculty members, and other clinical fellows.
- Maintains and troubleshoots equipment, routine repairs or notifying service personnel when more complex problems occur. Performs related duties
- May be responsible for routine operational activities such as; ordering supplies and materials, reviewing inventory, maintaining up to date records of tests, etc.
- Performs preventative maintenance of equipment.
- Coordinates research activities with some supervisory responsibilities as designated by the Principal Investigator.
- Performs miscellaneous related duties such general lab housekeeping and maintaining safety records.
Minimum Qualifications (mandatory):
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences, chemistry, or related field.
- 1 year laboratory experience performing relevant or related techniques.
- Knowledge of good lab practices.
- Master's degree, with related graduate research, may substitute for experience to the extent permittedby the JHU equivalency formula.