Service Desk Specialist
Posting Number C00093P Quick Link for Position http://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1608 Working Title Service Desk Specialist Position Number 21-20-0003 Department Technology Services Administration About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The University has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoor enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within the city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully-manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in the NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department Position Summary
The Service Desk Specialist is the front-line support for the UAFS faculty, staff, and students and responds to customer inquiries in person, via phone, email and chat with excellent customer service. This position is also responsible for performing computer operation duties and supporting desktop hardware, software and audio-visual equipment for the campus. The position reports to Manager of Customer Support.
Summary of Job Duties
• Assist with Technology Support Service Desk phone, voice mail, email, and log requests into the UAFS Incident Management System. Troubleshoot issues with faculty, staff or students. Contact users if more information is required. Update the incident reporting system with resolution information.
• Assist faculty, staff or students who walk into the Technology Support Service Desk and log requests into the UAFS Incident Management System. Update the incident reporting system with resolution information.
• Reset passwords or assist faculty, staff and students with resetting passwords using the UAFS password reset system.
• Schedule a variety of audio-visual equipment, and assist faculty and staff in proper operation of audio-visual equipment. Complete equipment requests including data entry.
• Assist faculty, staff or students in resolving technical issues with technology in the classroom.
• Assist faculty, staff or students with ID card issues.
• Handle SPAM /Phishing email issues caused by users clicking the link inside these e-mails.
• Unlock locked accounts in Active Directory.
• Perform backups of payroll when requested.
• Assist faculty, staff or students with setup of mobile devices on Wi-Fi.
• Assist PC technicians with service calls (when available).
• Update and maintain technology support inventory.
• Select, load, deliver and retrieve a variety of audio-visual equipment.
• Assist with preparation of equipment for transfer to state M&R or for sale.
• May be required to process nightly Banner jobs for student and finance, and process Banner backups.
• Prepare media production items (signs, posters, duplication of audio and video DVD’s) for faculty/staff.
• Check technology-related equipment in and out to faculty and staff upon request. Maintains records and logs of materials and equipment used.
• Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and by providing leadership to subordinates. Requires consistent on-time attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Associate’s degree in a technical or IT related field.
• One year of experience working in a computer support, technical or IT related field.
• Other job-related education and/or experience may be substituted for part of these requirements.
Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
• Two years’ of experience working in a computer support, technical, or IT related field.
• Service desk experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform the job successfully, the following competencies are required for the essential functions of this position:
• Knowledge of the use of computer hardware.
• Must have excellent customer service and interpersonal communications skills.
• Must be able to load equipment onto carts and deliver to appropriate locations.
• Ability to use current application software packages.
• Ability to provide technical assistance to users by evaluating, diagnosing and rectifying software and hardware problems.
• Ability to problem solve by gathering and analyzing information skillfully.
• Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
• Ability to communicate well both orally and in writing.
• Ability to work effectively and communicate with a diverse population of students, staff and faculty.
• Ability to operate and maintain audio-visual equipment.
• Ability to schedule audio-visual equipment for classrooms.
• Ability to train employees in the use of audio-visual equipment.
Special Job Dimensions
Work performed primarily in an office setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly exhibits digital dexterity when entering data into computer. The employee frequently sits for extended periods of time, and occasionally stands and walks. Vision demands include close, relatively detailed vision when focusing on a computer screen. Employee regularly talks and hears. Employee occasionally lifts items up to 50 pounds.
Routine office hours 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Hours may vary depending on department needs to cover additional shifts from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. or 2:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
Occasional overtime and travel required.
Salary $29,251 Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check and Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check. Position requires employee complete Arkansas Mandated Reporter training prior to employment.
Open Date 09/04/2020 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Open until filled. For full consideration, apply by September 20, 2020.
Anticipated start date EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial College Transcripts
- Proof of Veteran Status
- Additional Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you understand that failure to upload your unofficial
transcript(s) may result in an incomplete application packet?
- * Did you upload your unofficial transcript(s)?
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Librarians & Library Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Computer Services & Information Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith