Administrative Assistant- K
Administrative Assistant- K
Department: Political Science Department
Duration of Position: Academic year / Full time
Position Type: Staff
Posting Removal Date: Open Until Filled
Posting Number: 1001870
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities The Administrative Assistant provides administrative and operational support to the Political Science Department. The Administrative Assistant assists the department chair, faculty, staff, students, and visitors with administrative functions.
- Working with the chair on all subjects including annual
reports, staffing plans and course masters.
- Assisting faculty with course preparations and professional
travel arrangements, reimbursements.
- Managing, supervising and coordinating student interns,
assistants, and workers in the department (including managing time
- Establishing and maintaining student records such as student
progress toward completing the correlate and major.
- Determining and tracking eligibility for departmental honors
- Tracking departmental budgetary expenditures and
- Managing departmental calendars, maintaining schedules for use
of classrooms, requesting routine building maintenance, and
maintaining supplies and office equipment.
- Providing general clerical support and responding to inquiries,
answering phones and managing internal and external
- Updating course catalog copy, departmental policies and
- Coordinating department lectures (including travel arrangements
for guests) and planning medium/large special events including
catering, advertising, and reimbursements.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of two to four years administrative support
experience and/or training.
- Ability to interact effectively with a diverse community of
students, faculty, staff and visitors.
- Ability to effectively manage deadlines and multiple competing
priorities while maintaining attention to detail and exercising
- Must exercise discretion and maintain
- Maintain a professional problem-solving demeanor during
sometimes stressful situations.
- Ability to work independently and with other departments on
campus including Accounts Payable, Registrar, Purchasing, Student
Employment, Human Resources, Building & Grounds and Campus
- Strong computer skills are required including proficiency with
both Mac and PC platform environments, Microsoft Word, Microsoft
Excel, Google's suite of tools (gmail, calendar, drive, docs,
etc.), Workday (or comparable database systems), and a variety of
email and internet browsers. Must be open to learning new software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and telephone manner are essential.
Required Applicant Documents
Contact Information for 3 References
Optional Applicant Documents
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. (Word or PDF format required.) Review of applications will begin immediately. This position will remain open until filled.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
Anticipated Start Date:
Anticipated End Date (If Applicable):
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu.
Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.