Director of Facilities
Dean College is a private, residential New England college grounded in a culture and tradition that all students deserve the opportunity to discover and exceed their greatest aspirations.
A personal and transformative community since 1865, Dean tirelessly inspires our students to unimagined heights through personalized support and integrated delivery of academic, co-curricular and experiential learning.
Our graduates are lifelong learners who thrive in their careers, embrace social responsibility and demonstrate leadership.
This is The Dean Difference.
Consistently recognized as a Top Regional College and a Best Value School by U.S. News & World Report and name a College of Distinction for four consecutive years, Dean Serves approximately 1,200 full-time students and 300 part-time students and offers over 50 combined bachelor's and associate degree programs and specializations, as well as a robust schedule of continuing studies and certificate programs throughout the year.
Dean College is perfectly situated in Franklin, Massachusetts, which is conveniently located between Boston and Providence, Rhode Island and is accessible to Boston by commuter rail. The Dean College/Franklin station is only a five-minute walk from campus. Approximately 90 percent of the College's student population live on campus.
Dean provides a supportive academic environment that thrives on student engagement and exceptional teaching. The Dean Difference is exemplified through each student's commitment to their professional futures, social responsibility and leadership. Outside of the classroom, students participate in 16 athletic teams and more than 30 on-campus groups and organizations.
Ninety-six percent of our bachelor's degree students are employed or enrolled in graduate school within 12 months of graduation. Alumni are hard at work in top-ranked graduate programs and are employed by organizations such as Universal Studios, Dell Technologies, Liberty Mutual, Kraft Sports Entertainment, the Boston Ballet, and more.
This position is responsible for planning, organizing, directing, and controlling all physical plant functions which include: building services, capital improvements, deferred maintenance, landscape operations, engineering, skilled trades, auxiliary vendor services contracts, utilities and energy management, and the management and development of Facilities Staff. Create and manage the Facilities budget and implement, supervise, and evaluate the preventative maintenance program.
II. Job Duties
- Advise, plan, direct and manage all aspects of College's deferred maintenance programs;
- Develop sound project management criteria including negotiating, awarding and evaluating auxiliary vendor contracts or service agreements;
- Develop/maintain cohesive working relationships with Facilities Staff, which includes hiring, training and terminations;
- Maintain control of budget, and quality assurance, strengthen and oversee service delivery methods and systems;
- Manage 100 acres of land including athletics fields, parking lots, service areas, green space, circulation and buildings;
- Manage all Dean College facilities, including 550,000sf of real estate supporting the College's Administrative, Residential, Athletic, Academic and Service requirements;
- Manage mailroom operations including bulk mail and switchboard;
- Direct and manage preventative maintenance programs, repair and renovation programs for all buildings, grounds landscaping, athletic field upkeep, and custodial services;
- Oversee work performed by outside vendors, assigned capital improvement projects and mechanical service contracts;
- Assure compliance with regulatory inspection and reporting requirements;
- Interface with outside contractors, vendors and internal customers;
- Manage the College's work order system and vending machines;
- Other duties as required or assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or technical licensing required;
- Ten (10) years of experience in Physical Plant operations required;
- Five (5) years of supervisory responsibilities required;
- Strong supervisory skills, including the ability to lead a diverse group of skilled trades people, managers, and support staff;
- Demonstrated organizational skills, strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to interact with internal & external constituents and respond to issues in a timely manner;
- Experience in developing and leading teams;
- Creative problem solving, decision making and negotiation skills;
- Commitment to service excellence required;
- Thorough working knowledge of relevant regulations and compliance factors related to facilities operation and construction;
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings, specifications and equipment manuals;
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications such as, Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint, as well as other technology related to facilities management;
- Oversight of work requires presence on campus, flexible hours are required;
- Must have excellent communication, budgeting, cost control and problem-solving skills;
- Working knowledge of standard maintenance, mechanical and custodial practices, procedures and techniques;
- Demonstrated organizational skills, strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to interact with internal & external constituents;
- Ability to develop harmonious relationships, gain trust and cooperation through working collaboratively with the College Community is essential;
- Experience with higher education environments preferred;
- Valid driver's license is required;
- Solid understanding of engineering, architecture, maintenance, trades, budgets, and contract negotiations desired.
Dean College is an equal-opportunity, Title IX institution and pledges to recruit, select and promote diversity by providing equality of opportunity in higher education for all persons, including faculty and staff with respect to hiring, continuation, promotion, and applicants for admission, enrolled students and graduates without discrimination or segregation.
The College is interested in candidates who have the communication skills and cross-cultural abilities to maximize their effectiveness with diverse groups of colleagues, students, faculty, and community members. All employment decisions are made on a non-discriminatory basis. Dean College prohibits discrimination and harassment based on sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, work-related injury or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. This nondiscrimination policy covers admissions, employment, and access to and treatment in College programs, services, and activities. A pre-employment background screen is required for all employees.
The Assistant Dean of Students, located on the second floor of the Campus Center, telephone 508-541-1841, coordinates the college's compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 Act.
The Director of Human Resources on the first floor of Dean Hall, telephone, 508-541-1681 coordinates the college's compliance with titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act and amendments, and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.
The Dean College Athletics Department is a Division III member of the NCAA and competes as a member of the New England Collegiate Conference (NECC), Eastern Collegiate Football Conference (ECFC), and the USCAA and complies with all NCAA Division III Rules and Regulations.
Please submit your Resume/CV, Cover Letter, all unofficial transcripts; and contact information of three references. (PLEASE NOTE: Applications that are incomplete will not be considered).
Note: After submitting your resume/CV, the subsequent page gives you instructions that enable you to upload your Cover Letter and any additional documents.
See the FAQ for using our online system.
Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Login to your Dean College Careers Account to check your completed application or upload additional documents.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Franklin
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Franklin
- Facilities Management & Physical Plant Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Franklin