Financial Aid Analyst
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
We are actively recruiting for a Financial Aid Analyst to join our team in Columbia, MD. This position is a key member of the Financial Aid Services management team which implements the unit's strategic planning, core work enhancement and reviews and develops the policies and procedures consistent with the College's mission and enrollment goals. The idea candidate possesses comprehensive knowledge of federal and state financial aid laws and regulations and their relationship to institutional compliance.
- Responsible for the processing of Federal Return To Title IV Refunds, which is one of the top three areas of Title IV audit risk for colleges, and requires both a very high level and in-depth knowledge of Title IV financial aid law, regulations, and guidance.
- Manages the Maryland State Financial Aid Program including awarding, certifying, and reconciliation to ensure we are compliant with all Maryland State laws regarding Financial Aid.
- Responsible for the review, evaluation, and resolution of over award situations, which is a critical Title IV compliance area.
- Performs oversight and analysis of the default prevention activities performed by HCC's Third Party vendor to ensure that HCC maintains a low cohort default rate, which is another critical measure of Title IV compliance that is included annually in the A133 audit.
- Performs testing Colleague software patches as a key member of the testing team for all types of upgrades, new functionality and reports.
- Supports the systems team to develop, test, and implement technological process improvements and solutions for a wide range of office functions.
- Reviews and certifies student loan applications and loan adjustments.
- Electronically prepares and transmits loan certifications and imports/exports all response files related to electronic loan processing and the data required to substantiate Direct Loan disbursements.
- With assistance from web services, designs and maintains access to loan request content management.
- Approves student Direct Loan disbursements in accordance with federal laws and regulations.
- Reviews and certifies student loan applications. Manages entrance and exit loan interviews in accordance with federal regulations and keeps abreast of the latest methods of delivery.
- Assists with the completion of the federally required monthly reconciliation of Direct lending in coordination with the finance department and maintains records of each reconciliation.
- Maintains current and complete knowledge of federal, state, and institutional Title IV financial aid regulations and policies.
- Must be able to advise and assist prospective and currently enrolled students and their families on the application process and eligibility for financial aid.
- Must be able to determine student eligibility to receive financial aid funds in accordance with federal, state and institutional regulations. Packages all eligible students according to the policies and procedures stated above when appropriate.
- Processes Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) on a case-by-case basis to determine a student's status.
- Reviews, corrects and certifies all file information for disbursement or awards and ensures that all information entered into Colleague is accurate and complete. Provides training to other staff members such as Front Counter staff and counselors about federal regulations and institutional rules for processing direct loans.
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's Degree in Business, Higher Education or related fields strongly preferred.
- Three years of financial aid experience required, preferably at the level of counselor or assistant director.
- Excellent critical thinking and problem solving as well as data analysis, including understanding of financial aid calculations and ratios.
- Excellent knowledge all laws and regulations pertaining to federal and state financial aid and related institutional policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Electronic Data Exchange, National Student Loan Data System, and Microsoft Office.
- Experience with integrated database systems (Colleague preferred).
- Experience with Maryland State Financial Aid preferred.
- Experience working diverse populations required.
- Excellent ability to collect, compile, and analyze information and data and produce related reports required.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to establish and manage multiple, and often competing priorities.
- Outstanding abilities to work independently and to act proactively to identify and resolve problems.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, including working with constituents to resolve challenging situations, establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with several levels of staff and management, and excellent written and verbal (including public speaking skills) required.
- Knowledge of relevant Student Services and Finance Office policies and procedures.
Knowledge of Operations, Systems, and Procedures
- Extensive knowledge of federal and state financial aid laws and regulations required.
- Knowledge of procedures including relevant policies and procedures for the Enrollment Services areas (Admissions, Financial Aid, Records & Reg., Testing), and the Finance Office preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with Colleague and ImageNow systems preferred.
- Knowledge of Internet, automated financial aid processing, college network, phone, electronic mail, and college website required.
- Ability to learn, implement, use, and train others in new computer applications.
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this job as well as the ability to work additional and flexible hours during peak periods and/or in the event of special circumstances.
Financial Aid Services is a fast-paced, busy, deadline-driven, and sometimes high stress environment, which requires concurrent management of numerous tasks. Evening hours required. This position requires periodic local and occasional distant travel. Additional hours and flexibility is an absolute necessity, particularly in peak periods. Occasional weekend programs required.
Hours Per Week:37.5
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday with occasional evenings and weekends as needed
Compensation: $57,394 plus excellent medical, tuition reimbursement and paid leave
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: September 28, 2020
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100.
The following are required documents:
- Completed Application
- Cover Letter