Postdoctoral Associate CY
The laboratory of Dr. Matt Howe in the Virginia Tech School of Neuroscience is currently accepting applications for a Postdoctoral Associate. Research in the Howe lab uses a combination of technologies to measure and control neural activity, chemical neurotransmission, along with complex behavioral assays to determine how different neural systems control cognitive functions like attention and motivation for different kinds of rewards. Our overarching goal is to determine how these systems are disrupted in neuropsychiatric and neurodegenerative disorders and identify new targets for the treatment of their symptoms. Further information on research in the Howe lab can be found here: https://neuroscience.vt.edu/people/core-faculty/howe-Matt.html .
Postdoctoral scholars in the lab will be expected to work within the general research themes in the lab, although new ideas are always welcome! We will work together to assemble a career development and research plan suited to your background and goals. You will also be encouraged to apply for your own external funding with the full support of the PI. The successful candidate will be expected to work independently, as well as assist in the training of undergraduate and graduate students.
Candidates should have a Ph.D. in Neuroscience, Behavioral Neuroscience, Experimental Psychology, Biomedical Engineering, or a related field. Individuals with a background in computer science or computational neuroscience are also encouraged to apply.
Applications must be submitted online and should include a cover letter describing research interests, skills and accomplishments, resume, and at least three references. Compensation will be based on previous experience. Review of applications is ongoing and will continue until the position is filled.
• Ph.D. in Neuroscience, Experimental Psychology, Biomedical Engineering, Computational
Neuroscience or related field;
• Extensive experience with in-vivo rodent neurophysiology, neurochemistry, or calcium
• Experience with behavioral pharmacology;
• Extensive training in rodent behavioral assessment and analysis;
• Strong background in experimental design and statistics;
• Background in rodent handling and husbandry;
• Ability to work independently;
• Strong communication skills.
• Experience with MATLAB;
• Experience with advanced data analysis techniques, e.g., signal processing, cluster
analysis, machine learning;
• Experience with IHC;
• Demonstrated success in manuscript composition;
• Ability to build and maintain calcium imaging and neurophysiology rigs.
Commensurate with Experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Jonathan Hedrick at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: September 3, 2020
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg