Job Corp Scholars Career Transition Specialist
Job Corp Scholars Career Transition Specialist
Posting Number: 0000987
Position Status: Full-Time
Salary: Starting salary range of $43,015- $47,317 is based on the Lee College Administrative/Administrative Support Salary Scale, C41. Initial salary offer is commensurate with education and related work experience.
Department: Perkins Grant
Job Summary/Basic Function:
This position will provide pre‐separation services including assisting in assessing readiness for career transition, continuation of post-secondary education, entry into an apprenticeship program or the military and preparing students to effectively access resources and services that will assist them in making a successful transition.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist pre‐separation scholars on resources for employment,
conducting an Internet job search, completing a job application,
resume and cover letter writing, job interview skills and any other
skills a student may need in pursuing employment
- Assist students in assembling pertinent documents for
employment, apprenticeship program or military
- Assist participants in identifying and obtaining support
services within the community such as housing, transportation,
childcare, health care, work clothing and tools, food and
nutrition, counseling services, job retention, and legal services,
financial planning, and federal funding for advanced education (as
- Provide personalized post‐separation transition services for up
to 12 months following certification completion that lead to job
placement, continued enrollment in post-secondary education or
enrollment in an apprenticeship program.
- Maintain direct contact with all participants during the
service period to reassess their needs to ensure continued
employment, further education, licensing in the field in which they
were certified, and career progression.
- Use labor market information and employer provided information
to inform training and career counseling decisions.
- Create new or leverage existing partnerships with employers to
identify workforce labor demands.
- Determine the extent to which the college or university has
training programs that will meet those labor needs.
- Seek early placement commitments for Job Corps Scholars
successfully separating from the Job Corps Scholars
- Create and maintain relationships, as appropriate, within the
local communities, with American Job Centers or One‐Stop Centers,
and with local Workforce Development Boards.
- Create and execute a communications plan to reasonably ensure
that employers can provide feedback on the degree to which their
labor needs are being met.
- Explore the possibility with employers of using existing or creating new apprenticeship programs.
Additional duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Work with VP of Instruction, Project Director and Faculty to
identify, inform and engage potential employers.
- Develop presentations for potential employers.
- Conduct DOL Job Corp Scholars employment workshops and seminars
throughout the year.
- Respond to requests and inquiries from participants and
potential participants in a timely fashion.
- Work with Outreach and Retention Counselors to track and record
each scholars' progress toward personal and academic goals
including, measurable skill gains, education and employment rates,
median earnings, retention, completion, credential attainment and
effectiveness in serving employers.
- Must be a subject matter expert on all processes regarding the
DOL project plan including institutional policy and procedures and
applicable federal regulations.
- Assist Project Director in required DOL quarterly, annual and
- Assist Project Director in disseminating program performances
measures, best practices and lessons learned.
- Maintain participant's files including proof of eligibility
- Conduct project plan from an audit ready position.
- Participate in evening and weekend events and
- Participate in professional development activities and training
- Attend DOL workshops and training as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Excellent benefits accrue with this full-time position. This is a grant-funded position. Continuation of the position is based on the continuation of the grant and satisfactory job performance. This is a security sensitive position.
Lee College does not discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, race, color, age, religion, national origin, or veteran status.
- Bachelor’s (or higher) degree in Higher Education, Social Work,
Advising/Counseling, or a related field
- Two (2) years of post-secondary outreach experience,
instruction, or student support services
- Impeccable reputation with regard to ethics and
- Excellent written and oral skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal abilities and public relations
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Excellent organizational skills, self‐starter with strong time
- Must be able to travel locally and regionally to recruit
- Must be able to meet hard deadlines outlined by the
- Must be able to work in a team environment
- Knowledge of methods for job development, local labor market
trends, and employment opportunities
- Ability to build and maintain relationships and maintain
confidentiality and professionalism in handling sensitive
- Ability to work with and engage individuals with diverse
backgrounds including veterans
- Must possess awareness of and be sensitive to cultural
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Master’s (or higher) degree in a related field
- Experience with federal grants or project management
- Bilingual: Ability to read, write, and speak both English and Spanish
Campus/Location: McNair Center - Baytown, TX
If other, provide location:
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position requires applicants to attach the following documents: resume, cover letter, and copies of transcripts for all completed college work. (Official transcripts required upon employment.)
In addition, applicants must include a minimum of three (3) professional references on the online application.
Please do not mail, email, fax, or deliver any documents outside of the electronic application process.
To apply, visit https://jobs.lee.edu/postings/6674
Lee College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, which encourages applications from qualified females, minority groups, veterans, and disabled individuals. It is the policy of Lee College to fully comply with the equal opportunity provisions of all applicable regulations and not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of gender, disability, race, color, age, religion, national origin, or veteran status in areas such as recruitment, selections, training, promotion, demotion, layoffs, terminations, rates of pay, or any other forms of compensation or benefits.