Administrative Assistant- K
Administrative Assistant- K
Department: Art Department
Duration of Position: Academic year / Full time
Position Type: Staff
Posting Removal Date: Open Until Filled
Posting Number: 1001867
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities The Administrative Assistant provides administrative and operational support to the Department of Art. The Administrative Assistant assists the department chair, faculty, staff, students, and visitors with administrative functions.
- Report to and work closely with the department chair on all
subjects including annual reports, staffing plans, course masters,
and professional correspondence.
- Serve as a primary contact for students and visitors, answer
the department phone, respond to email queries, meet the needs of
students and visitors as they come into the office. etc.
- Assist faculty with preparation of course and professional
- Maintain the shared department calendar for semester deadlines,
meetings, events. This includes room reservations.
- Supervise the student office intern and placement of student
- Coordinate with the Registrar office regarding class schedules,
enrollments, student records, curricular changes, etc.
- Maintain and reconcile department budgets, endowment funds.
Assist with annual allocations requests.
- Organize paperwork for faculty & staff
- Place and track orders as requested by faculty and staff.
Maintain inventory for office and other department
- Assist in the purchase and renewal of annual service contracts
- Distribute department mail to faculty and staff
- Report building problems to Facilities Operations, and maintain
log of ongoing and completed building repairs.
- Organize and maintain all department records. This includes
confidential personnel files and letters, and faculty assessment
- Provide travel arrangements, accommodations, interview and meal
schedules for department job candidates. This includes assisting
faculty with professional travel arrangements and guest speaker
- Update department website as needed.
- Participate actively in departmental special events, which
includes organizing events, catering, student orientation
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of two to four years administrative support
experience and/or training.
- Ability to interact effectively with a diverse community of
students, faculty, staff and visitors.
- Ability to effectively manage deadlines and multiple competing
priorities while maintaining attention to detail and exercising
- Strong organizational and time management skills are
- Must exercise discretion and maintain
- Maintain a professional problem-solving demeanor during
sometimes stressful situations.
- Ability to work independently and with other departments on
campus including Accounts Payable, Registrar, Purchasing, Student
Employment, Human Resources, Building & Grounds and Campus
- Strong computer skills are required including proficiency with
both Mac and PC platform environments, Microsoft Word, Microsoft
Excel, Google's suite of tools (gmail, calendar, drive, docs,
etc.), Workday (or comparable database systems), and a variety of
email and internet browsers. Must be open to learning new software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and telephone manner are essential.
Required Applicant Documents
Contact Information for 3 References
Optional Applicant Documents
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. (Word or PDF format required.) Review of applications will begin immediately. This position will remain open until filled.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
Anticipated Start Date:
Anticipated End Date (If Applicable):
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu.
Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.